Where do you mount your onboard battery charger?

chad711

Seaman
I just bought this and need to install it. States to mount in a well vented area. Do most people just mount these in the back compartment where the batteries are installed? I was going to mount it against the compartment that opens up.

Never used one of these before so any thing I should know please do tell! Thank you

Edit: little confused on this..does this thing charge when only plugged in or does it hold a charge too and charge your battery when you are out at the lake as well??

EDIT: Nevermind just confirmed this is to charge at home only. Pretty pointless as I have a charger in my garage. I'll be returning this...

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Where do you mount your onboard battery charger?

Before you return it, what mfr and model is it? Maybe it is appropriate for the application after all?

As to your other questions; like your garage charger, the onboard charges only when it is plugged in. It's just a convenience thing for being able to park-and-plug or dock-and-plug rather than digging out the garage charger, etc. (And of course you can get them in multiple banks if you have separate batteries for starting, trolling)

I have a 2-bank mounted to the inside of the transom, back under the splashwell, right above the bilge, in between the two battery boxes.

diesel5599

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm planning on getting one of these and I have a deep cycle charger at home already also. The big benefit that I can see is you don't have to take the batteries out to charge them. House chargers aren't meant to get wet and exposed to the elements so I've been taking my batteries out to charge them when the boats been sitting too long, a real pain if you ask me.

Also my house charger will only charge one at a time, my boat has 3 batteries, I think marine chargers will do all 3 at once, not sure though.

chad711

Seaman

Sorry already returned it before I read this! Just got back from Lake Fork for the weekend.

Don't recall which one it was but I think it was Bass Pro line. I may get one another time but I have been blowing so much money on my fishing habits lately that I felt it was better to return it since it didn't do what I was expecting.

diesel5599

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry already returned it before I read this! Just got back from Lake Fork for the weekend.

Don't recall which one it was but I think it was Bass Pro line. I may get one another time but I have been blowing so much money on my fishing habits lately that I felt it was better to return it since it didn't do what I was expecting.

Boats are definitely an endless money pit, I'm starting to think they must be the most expensive hobby on earth. I'm looking at $3500 for a carport and $300 for a charge controller for my next round of spending. Not to mention I pick up my $200 plow anchor tomorrow and would like to get a $600 windlass. Oh and this weekend I found out one of my batteries will no longer charge.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

I have a 2-bank mounted to the inside of the transom, back under the splashwell, right above the bilge, in between the two battery boxes.

I have always read not to install them near the batteries due to off-gassing. The literature reads that this will cause excessive corrosion of therminal, wires, etc. Have you had any problems with yours? My charger is mounted in the engine compartment, but it is electrically sealed against sparking.