Where did I go wrong?

marcysibyll

Seaman
The 1959 18 hp FastTwin w/ 20 hp power head refuses to fire. Have the adj screws at the start point- HI speed 1 turn out, low 1 1/2 out. Got choke linkage hooked up correctly, got spark and compression. <br />Float was set at right hight, level with carb body. <br />Primer bulb is pumped till hard. <br /><br />Going to pull carb again and check it out. <br /><br />Any advixe will be appreciated

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: Where did I go wrong?

Put a little fuel/oil mix in a spray bottle. Spray it down the carb's throat and attempt to fire. If that doesn't work, pull the spark plugs, and spray a couple squirts in, reinstall and re-test. <br />If it fires on any of that, that confirms a fuel problem.<br /><br />One last thing - you have got the spark plug leads the right way around right? Forwardmost coil feeds the top cylinder.

marcysibyll

Seaman

Wanted to fire - ran a little, about 3 sec. with gas mix in cyl. Don't like doing that. Getting some Sea Foam to put in plug hole. <br /><br />If no success there, will take apart carb, again.<br />Thanks Paul

Paul Moir

Admiral

Yeah, fuel is not getting out of the carb and into the engine then. Are you sure the carb is filling up with fuel? IE, the float isn't stuck is it?

marcysibyll

Seaman

Had carb apart again. Clean and nothing hanging up.<br /><br />I get fuel out the fuel line when I pump the primer bulb. What are the chances that I have a bad fuel pump. <br /><br />Had it running for about 2 min on Sea Foam in the spark plug.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

You may have crud in the carb that you can't see. It is best to blow out all the little passages with high pressure compressed air.

marcysibyll

Seaman

Did all the above- incl blowing out passages both ways with 90 psi compressed air. <br /><br />I'm going back to plan A- find a late 60's early70's 18 to 25hp outboard with a bad power head. Use the 20 hp power head as a donor. Then will have lower unit for sale.<br /><br />Had the $150.00 eBay 20 hp Johnson out this morning.( 1971 ) No fish n(don't have to clean them) and the motor ran like a champ.<br />Before next season, it's drop lu for new seals and water pump.

Paul Moir

Admiral

Oh shoot, I think we're overlooking something big here. You say you have a 20hp powerhead but you also have adjustable high and low mixture controls? So then you've got a '59 18hp carb on a 20hp engine right? The carb settings might be very very different from the normal 1 turn out & 1 and 1/2 turns out. Probably out more.<br />If you got it to run for two minutes, you must be close. The sea foam was gone from the cylinder in a couple seconds, no matter how much you put in.