Where can I find jet drive lower units

raymondmoyer

Seaman
As the topic says where can I find just jet drive lower units ? I have a 96 model johnson 30HP that I would like to put a jet drive lower unit on if possible. I am aware of the efficiency issues, and the loss of power output to the jet. But most of my fishing is done in rather shallow rivers. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

mulv80

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Where can I find jet drive lower units

Ray, I remember seeing Jet drive outboards for sale at smalloutboards.com i believe they are selling just the jet drive itself also. It looks like these jet drives are old army surplus and fit 30hp johnson/evinrude motors. Hope this helps

mulv80

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ray, I just went to the site they have jet drive replacement lower units which bolt on, they are $225 I don't know much about these units or how much they go for. I had spoken with the guy who runs the business with a question about my old evinrude and he was friendly and helpful.

Bass Runner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Just remember when you go to jet drive if you find one, that you will loose hole shot they don't have the torque that a prop does, i had a 85hp jet on a 16' john boat and it performed about like a 40 or 50, would still run good at top end but comming out of the hole was slow. But on the other hand they are great in shallow water unless you get it in the mud then you have to clean it out by hand or chance eating up the impeller or stater, Hope this helps. :D

raymondmoyer

Seaman

Thank you sirs. I have been to the small outboard website. They are selling turbojet lower units. I have one and it does great compared to a prop. But it still uses the same lower unit. And it is still hanging down there to get smacked on a rock. It get's a little nerve racking sometimes trying to pick your way through a river that averages only 2' deep :)

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

As far as I know, all outboard jet lower units are manufactured by the same company - whether they're sold aftermarket or as part of an OEM jet outboard. I believe it's Outboard Jet Corporation in San Leandro CA. <br /><br />I'd suggest you contact that company directly. If you're at all adept at dropping an outboard lower unit you should be able to install the unit yourself.<br /><br />As an alternative, contact your local boat dealer. They should be able to order one and install it for you.<br /><br />I run jets exclusively - you are obviously familiar with the drawbacks and benefits so I won't go into that, as you requested. Good luck and have fun.

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

PS: For a large outboard, the cost of the jet unit pushes $1500 retail. For a smaller motor like yours, I don't know if it will be cheaper or not. <br /><br />Also, as is the case for props, there's a choice of impellers - aluminum or stainless. The cost differences and advantages are the same as for props. <br /><br />This site has some pretty decent info:<br /><br /> http://www.scottandjenn.com/tiki/tiki/tiki-read_article.php?articleId=1

Skinnywater

Commander

This is the outfit your looking for. This is the first year they decided to go on the www.<br /><br /> http://www.outboardjets.com/ <br /><br />I've got one of these units raymondmoyer. And I run skinnywater. If you need any help I've been tweeking and peaking my jetpump and riversled for a couple years now. ;)

Link

Rear Admiral

dajohnson53 <br />mulv80 <br />Skinnywater <br /><br />Thanks for the great sites. I'll be reading instead of posting tonight. I'm at scottandjenn.com right now totally having fun.<br /><br />14ft Almar sled with a 90 OB Jet...what a dog!<br />But mabe I can find some info here to help gain some speed.<br /><br />Link

raymondmoyer

Seaman

Thank you guys. I talked to the people at outboardjets.com. Turns out I have a dealer of their products right down the road. They have exactly what I'm looking for. Once again everybody thanks for all the help. Don't know where I would be without this sight. :)

Skinnywater

Commander

Spend the extra money for the Stainless Steel impeller.<br />There are several good reasons why it worth it.

raymondmoyer

Seaman

I worked out a deal with my local retailer that includes the stainless impellar ;) Thank you guys this is a great site. :)

raymondmoyer

Seaman

Oh my lord. Why in the world did I ever by a prop in the first place :D I went fishing today with the new jet drive. There is no greater feeling than running 20 miles an hour in a foot of water. Once again thank you guys . :)

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Raymond...there's one thing greater than that...runnin 40 mph in 6 inches and then running into a gravel bar less than an inch deep...that'll get your heart jump startled...just a Thought :cool:

raymondmoyer

Seaman

Nah, no gravel bars just turtles every now and then :D I'm used to picking my way through a small channel with the prop. The jet makes it so much easier :)