When do you know it's time to replace your prop on your trolling motor?

RTDcanuck

Seaman Apprentice
HI, just wondering when do you know it's time to replace your prop on your trolling motor? And besides getting stuck does can weeds damage your motor/prop?
confused.gif
<br /><br />------------------<br />------------------------ 9((=< Canuck friends of fisherman everywhere!!

corm

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: When do you know it's time to replace your prop on your trolling motor?

I replace mine when it's broke RDT. If it is not weedless, upgrade it to one. Stopping the motor with weeds heats the electrical parts quickly causing early failure of the parts. I've burned up 2 wore out 2 they always quit on the lake,imagine that. :)<br /><br />...have fun...corm

RTDcanuck

Seaman Apprentice

thanx corm, my minn kota says it's Weedless Wedge propeller pushes weeds aside even at slow speeds but can this be trusted or will my motor get caught up in the weeds and burn out? I can't always just replace my motor i have lots of other costs i'm a student so i'm trying to find this out because i would really like to get a least a few yrs out of this minn kota without burning it out (killing it)!!<br /><br />------------------<br />------------------------ 9((=< Canuck friends of<br />fisherman everywhere!!

corm

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It will start to shake when you get weeds on it. So then it is time to put it in reverse to remove them or pull it up out of the water and do it buy hand Carefully! Those<br /> props hurt bad. Don't get to worried about it They take a lot of miss use. This I know.<br />I fished BASS Tournys for 15 yrs.<br /><br />...have fun...corm

markcv

Cadet

RTD<br /><br /> You can look at your prop, it will build up with weeds even if it is weedless if you have some nicks in the blade. Take a flat file and clean up those nicks. It will keep the build up of weeds on your blade. It does not hurt to take off your prop and clean the grass and maybe the fishing line that gets caught behind it. But corm is right, they are one tuff piece of equipment.<br /><br />markcv