When are trailer brakes actually necessary?

Elk Chaser

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just went through the brakes system on the used trailer/boat I bought recently and found out that the brake lines were cleverly attached to nothing at the drums. <br /><br />I'm not sure of the total weight of the boat but my question for now is at what weight are brakes actually needed or required?

thefoyboy

Cadet
Re: When are trailer brakes actually necessary?

I do not believe anyone can give you specifics, but the first time you have a need for quick braking and those are not there you will regret it in all likelihood.

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer

I'm sure each state has its own requirements. Usually based on the gross weight capacity of trailer.<br />Check with your Motor Vehicle Admin.<br />Ditto the quick stop senario.<br />I'm guessing if the trailer came with the boat when new, it probably should have them.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

State laws requiring brakes vary. Most are somewhere between 1000 and 3000 pounds.<br />According to this site: http://www.rvsafety.com/state.htm <br /><br />you need brakes in Idaho if the total loaded weight of the trailer is 1500# or more.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

If the trailer is equipped with brakes... they should function to pass a state safety inspection.<br /><br />Bob

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Elk - Whether on brakes are required depends more on what you are pullin & what you are pullin it with. I would want them on a 21'er no matter what the legal requirements are - lessn if I had an F350 diesel.

milkyway

Chief Petty Officer

One practical experience - once and without correctly adjusted brakes on my 6,000# rig ( boat +trailer+fulltankofgas+water+ etc.) , I burned my tahoe's disc brakes. I have 2 axles but only one has brakes. I feel I need both for safety reasons especially downhill!

DaveM

Petty Officer 1st Class

Trailer brakes are the greatest invention since, well, I don't know. But they are a wonderful addition to a setup of any substancial weight. I highly recommend them. <br /><br />You might as well get yours operational if all the components are there. Besides, there are probably a few hills in your area where brakes would be put to good use.

Winger Ed.

Chief Petty Officer

When you reach where you want to get off the interstate, hit the brakes--- but don't slow down, thereby missing your exit ramp,,,,<br />you'll know you need trailer brakes. <br /><br />If the system is rotten anyway, ya might think about converting to electric brakes.<br /><br />In most applications they are better and more versatile. If your master and or wheel cylinders are trashed out, the conversion may be cheaper than overhauling the hydraulic system.

starrider_68

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Trailer brakes are some of the best things I could hope for especially in traffic...but most states require brakes on at least 1 axel to pass safety regs. Some states require brakes on ALL axels. if you are thinking of updating to electric then plan for both axels.. I have a tri axel and all have brakes on them. they help each other on rough terrane and ramps. also you can add a "override" like me and have the option to use the trailer brakes to "hold" your rig on steep ramps rather than trust the transmission to hold it.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

Having towed without them, I can say for sure that they are a necessity, even though they can be a maintenance head ache esp in saltwater like we have here in Long Island. My feeling was that you never know when someone will pull out in front of you and then you may not be able to stop safely. So I added a new axle with flanges and the surge system this summer. Not a bad job at all, only slightly difficult part is snaking the brake line inside the trailer frame. The rest is easy. Got all the stuff at Champion Trailers.

Butch Ammon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here in VA, trailer brakes are required if the whole gross overall weight is 3000#'s.<br /><br />Butch A.

rtfolse

Cadet

Originally posted by Elk Chaser:<br />[QB] Just went through the brakes system on the used trailer/boat I bought recently and found out that the brake lines were cleverly attached to nothing at the drums.

rtfolse

Cadet

If you want to get your brakes working, I just did mine with parts I bought from http://www.championtrailers.com/ <br /><br />I have towed boats for three decades, and never feel safe without brakes, even if not required. My old trailer had drum brakes which bit the dust with corrosion and rust, so I started from scratch. I went for new disk brakes. <br /><br />This required new axel ($120) which they custom build. Then I bought complete brake kit ($399) which had a new coupler, rotors, calipers,hubs, stainless steel brake lines, all fittings, bolts and parts needed. This system is manufactured by TieDown and has a grease system better than the old buddy bearings. There is a hole down the center of the axel spindel so when you pump the grease in the zirk fitting it goes down the center of the spindle to the rear seal then out the hole to the rear bearing and then forward until the grease reaches and goes past the outer bearing so both bearings get packed with grease. My old Buddy Bearing system pushed grease in the other way (outside to inside) so it never really got all the way inside because there was no way to get out the other side. This is a great new bearing grease method. <br /><br />It came galvanized, so I painted it with rustoleum to match old trailer color. Towed it last weekend and trailer now is like brand new. (I also installed a set of LED lights). I highly recomend disk brakes. The coupler comes with a solenoid which you attach to your backup lights so it cuts off brakes when you back up. I towed the boat down from a lake for the winter, and did 18 miles downhill no problems. <br /><br />It took one weekend to remove and install axel, brakes, coupler.

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

My owners manual for my truck advises anything over 2000 pounds total weight should have adequate, functioning brakes. I've towed up to 3500 without brakes, but it's better to have them for obvious reasons.