What's Wrong?

82rude

Rear Admiral
P.S. youtube usually has lots of vids on repairs and setup.I for one would like to see how this turns out so keep us informed.

Last edited:

interalian

Commander
The timing on these is entirely dependent on the WOT setting (timer base against rubber tipped adjust screw). Once that is set correctly (whether with the Joe Reeves method, or with a test wheel at WOT running, or crouching over the motor while on the lake, holding the timing light and hoping your pilot doesn't mash a wave and pitch you in the drink), the idle timing simply adjusts the idle speed and is pretty much irrelevent.

The WOT stop on the throttle arm permits full travel to allow the throttle butterflies to open perpendicular to the carb throats and should be set last.

drmagnum

Seaman Apprentice
Interalian, Thank you.
That makes more sense to me now. I made a test wheel out of a lawnmower fly wheel but it was useless due to my test tank was too shallow and would empty of water with any throttle. So I decided to go back to square one with the manual set up/synchronization of the carb linkage. I then did the Joe Reeves WOT set up for the timing. I have a remote so I just unhooked the throttle during the setting up of both syncro. and WOT timing. Then it wouldn't start again. Oh by the way I have no rubber tip on my WOT positive stop and not sure if it ever had one due to the positive stop bolt and lock nut are still the same color as the engine block. I then adjusted the long bolt that does not have a lock nut on it and is the largest of all the adjustment bolts on this linkage, turning it in until I could get the engine to start again. Now I took it to the lake. It runs great at WOT. I get 5000 RPM and a nice tone to the engine at close to 40 knots.(a little less than 5 sec to go 300 feet, approximated from two on shore points) The wind in my face felt great. now it is not perfect yet. When Idling if I go right to full or half throttle the engine stalls. If I ease into it no problem.
So I think the WOT is set up great but I have to make some other adjustment to make it continue to run well at mid range and coming off the idle. The idle timing ended up to be around 6 degrees. If I turn the long screw in just some more it will go to 4 or 5 degrees. I will give it a try and see how it acts then.

Last edited:

interalian

Commander
You're welcome. The bolt on a factory engine shouldn't be painted and should have a rubber stop on it. Not a big deal though, yours may have been rebuilt and resprayed.

If you're bogging coming out of the hole, I'd check the throttle cam is properly aligned to start the carb butterflies opening when the roller hits the cam at the line. Not the START line, the unmarked one. If that's right, you may have carb problems.

Your idle timing doesn't matter. What does matter is your idle speed. In gear, tied to the dock, about 700 rpm.

drmagnum

Seaman Apprentice
interalian,
The throttle cam has an arrow where it contacts the butterfly roller like the one in the picture.
So this is supposed to be in this position when in gear not in neutral?
I just got a cheap laser tachometer and will check the idle speed next time I put it in the water, both in and out of gear.
I also got two rebuild kits from this site for the carbs. If I still have problems I will rebuild them after checking everything.
I am also going to check the remote control cables according to the manual. I may have them out of adjustment and the manual states it can cause trouble with the idle and shifting.
I did find something the other day and didn't know what to think of it but now looking at the manual it is the lower detent spring, so mine is broken and I need to find a replacement.
$_57.JPG

Last edited:

interalian

Commander
I can't tell much/anything with the linkage off - no context. A picture of the assembled linkage at idle and another at WOT would be useful

drmagnum

Seaman Apprentice
That linkage isn't mine. Here is a picture of mine in neutral. I think it it supposed to look like this in gear, not neutral.
Sorry it keeps converting my image into thousands of letters. Now it is really small. I having trouble getting my pictures to work with this site. I will have to post some pictures when I can get my devises to communicate better.
fetch

Last edited: