What's with this weather?!?

jtmarten

Master Chief Petty Officer
The Nova II is still sitting in the boat port covered. Last Thur morning it was 25*, supposed to get down to 22* this Wed night, possibly more snow during the day Wed. Usually she'd have hit the water starting early-mid April!

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Re: What's with this weather?!?

I hear ya. The fishing opener was this past Sat. and my boat is still in storage. Not very many out of towners. Very few people have their docks and boats out. Been a cold spring. Now we have high winds, some rain and a few rumbles of thunder(the first this year). As I was opening this thread our power went out for the second time this a.m. It goes out just long enough to crash the computer.....

j_martin

Admiral

I hear ya. The fishing opener was this past Sat. and my boat is still in storage. Not very many out of towners. Very few people have their docks and boats out. Been a cold spring. Now we have high winds, some rain and a few rumbles of thunder(the first this year). As I was opening this thread our power went out for the second time this a.m. It goes out just long enough to crash the computer.....

When you live in the sticks, you need a UPS power setup on the computer.

The admiral and I are fishing a fund raiser tournament next weekend at Chetek. Should I bring shorts or a snowsuit, or both?

I'm a bass fisherman. How do you catch a sunfish, other than the twice a year 1 1/2 pounder that tries to eat my plastic worm? One day of the tournament is panfish.

Anybody have any tips on the Chain for me. I'm going to look it over for about a day. I have the Lowrance HDS lake insight, but it's not worth getting a lakemaster chip for this deal.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

The wife has UPS, of course, I don't... But, her work supplied her setup. We've had power go out on clear, sunny, no wind days.

Do I really have to answer that??????? BOTH!!!! Sunfish/bluegills - waxies(double or even triple the hook.) or the garden variety worm. Even catch crappies on them(waxies) too. If the panfish are in the area, you'll know in a hurry. Don't dilly dally in any given area too long. Never fished the Chetek area. Can't point you in the proper location. Funny you should mention Lakemaster. I'm getting a chip for the "Big Chip", Chippewa Flowage. Mainly just to learn the lake and find my truck again.....

j_martin

Admiral

I'm getting a chip for the "Big Chip", Chippewa Flowage. Mainly just to learn the lake and find my truck again.....

That comment needs a link or an explanation.:eek:

WIMUSKY

Staff member

That comment needs a link or an explanation.:eek:

Over 15,000 acres. Here's a link to the map. N cty rd cc goes thru the middle of the lake. If you go to the bottom of the link, it shows a better map. All the islands look like mainland. Easy to get lost if you're not familiar with the lake. I've only been on it twice "with someone else and their boat". I've only been on the west side, but you would swear your were in Canada, no cabins...
http://www.chippewaflowage.com/map.html

Here's the main page. http://www.chippewaflowage.com/

It's just east of Hayward.

They owe me! Ya, right..................

rbh

Fleet Admiral

MA nature is handing us all a smack down this year!!

j_martin

Admiral

WiMusky, I might have to spend a weekend or so on that lake. Gettin' too rickety for the likes of Voyagers island camping any more, but I like big interesting water to play on.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Just get yourself a good map. I don't think the hazards are marked very well. At least not as good as Lake Vermilion(that's where I like to island camp) up north where everything is marked. You may want to throttle back that bass boat! There's lots of floating bogs too. Being a flowage, the water is stained.

j_martin

Admiral

It's pretty interesting looking down a all the low water skeg and prop strikes on the rocks in Namakan. One hazard they got marked is a 59' needle in 60' of water, in the middle of the route from Ash River to Kettle Falls.

Chippewa is a mud puddle compared to the 275,000 acres of water in Voyagers.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Voyagers National Park is a whole different ball game. A bunch of lakes all interconnected. Vermilion is 40,000 acres, 40 miles long with 1200 miles of shoreline. Although, I know that one like the back of my hand. Chippewa Flowage is one of the biggest lakes around here. There are some real puddles that are only 1000 acres, but have 70 - 90' holes. There's large muskies and nice walleyes lurking in those waters too. Never been on Voyagers, always spent my time on Vermilion.

Speaking of weather. There's a cabin I caretake, in fact I just stained it, and the owner lives in Alabama. He just showed up today and couldn't believe how bare the trees are. Of course he, and most of the rest of the country, is in full summer. Looks wise, we look like most of the country does in winter. No leaves yet. Did hit the low 70's today. Felt hot after all the cold we've had.......

Thajeffski

Master Chief Petty Officer

What are u talkin about? This is the third day in a row I've been out after work!! I'm posting this from the laptop in the pic right now!!

2011-05-10%2017.44.51.jpg

scooper77515

Senior Chief Petty Officer

It is a La Nina year.

For us down on the TX gulf coast, that means absolutely no rain, drought conditions, despite lots of humidity and wind. Until September. Then we will get at least 2, if not 3 tropical storms and/or hurricanes.

Which will make up for the drought conditions, in a way.

We haven't been out on the lake in a month because the wind is so high that it is a choppy sloppy mess out there. And the lake is down about 2-3' which is in the 3-4' depth range at the ramp, and all the underwater crap is starting to show.

Summer Fun

Banned

My marina got hit by a tornado then ...

227265_197940776909626_100000811145195_463001_7236786_n.jpg

229527_197940733576297_100000811145195_462999_3905783_n.jpg

225323_197940906909613_100000811145195_463007_918997_n.jpg

They closed the lake down because of high water & flooding.

They just opened the lake today. :)

I should of been in on April 15th so here it is May 10th . :(

And I'm still on the hard !!!. :mad: .