What's this called?

chuckwagonsam

Seaman
What is this engine mount called?
100_2076.jpg100_2077.jpg
As you can see this will not allow the motor to be lowered. It is cavetating at normal trim. I have to bury it to stop. It has a 15x17 alum prop. Would a change in prop stop this?

Haffiman

Commander
Re: What's this called?

Some sort of home-made bracket that does not quite seem to work as intended. Has got a splash plate added to prevent spray from the lower engine mount area. Perhaps try a double cupped SST prop to get rid of ventilation/cavitation problem.

Haffiman

Commander

I'm afraid Gil would be rather offended if you compare it with those brackets. Perhaps some modified bath-tub intended to look-alike?
Having the bracket (bath-tub) going all the way down to the bottom of the transom is doomed from start!! Water will be 'dragged' up and follow the bottom part, why the splash plate had to be added.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

Raising it about 5 or 6 inches would do wonders

chuckwagonsam

Seaman

Did some research on it. Used to convert I/O style boats to outboards. This is not homemade and does not drag. Great hole shot, even with 7 people in the boat. Raising it would compound the problem. I believe the prop on it is a replacement. I was given another prop with the boat that appears to have the hub damaged. It's a 14.75x19 SST. That may make a difference and I'm having it looked at. One thing I noticed about this setup is it maneuvers well. At no wake speed you can turn it around almost within it's length and on plane has a very short turning radius, that of a much smaller boat.