Whats this called and can you buy these still?

oldjeep

Admiral
I don't know what that thing is, but it is definitely not a ski bar.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Definitely not to be used for any watersports! That mounting would rip out instantly. The way it looks, the entire thing is meant to pivot forward. Still no idea what it actually would be used for though!

marauder11

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have similar brackets on my old tri hull. I just seen this pic and now i got to know

Maclin

Admiral
I saw that turboswing earlier this year and am working on funding to get one of those for my O/B boat.

rbh

Fleet Admiral
To light to pull anything, could be a place to hang your bicycle from??

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Looks like a towel rack fashioned into something it wasn't designed for, maybe to keep a blue tarp from coming off in the wind?

gstrom11

Petty Officer 3rd Class
This thread reminds me of the end of "This Old House" when they guess what the gadget they have.. We just need those guys to chime in and tell us what it is really for.

bilge rat jim

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yep, that's an old ski tow bar from the 60s-70s. This one was probably made or marketed by Attwood or Sun&Ski. Despite it's rather flimsy appearance, these where quite strong. Lots of boat manufacturers still offer similar devices as options on smaller runabouts.

Maclin

Admiral
I know this thread is older, but I happened upon this photo from a classic Glastron site, shows one installed on a brand new boat in 1960. I was way wrong on my assessment of the capability and purpose.

back in the day ski tow.jpg

Last edited: