What's the difference between spade and egc fuses?

ngt

Master Chief Petty Officer
The guy at West Marine said it doesn't matter for my fish finder, but I read a couple of threads that suggested spade fuses. What's the difference and which ones should I be using for my humminbird 898c hd si combo? the manual doesn't say, it just says 3a fuse.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Re: What's the difference between spade and egc fuses?

Spade(atc) are the ones you have in your car. There's a mini spade(atm) too. AGC, I believe is what you mean, are the old glass type.... Don't know which one you need tho.....

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Fuse "type" refers to the "fuse holder". It has nothing to do with the amp rating. If your locator is wired directly to a fuse panel, use the "type" of fuse the fuse panel is designed for. If the fuse is installed in an "in-line" fuse holder, buy the type of fuse that fits in that holder.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

I guess I should have added, all will work depending on your holder.......

mrmamiller

Petty Officer 2nd Class

On my boat, I use the glass fuses (3AG, AGC...these characters designate size and material makeup of the fuse). The reason for using glass is because my fuse panel uses them , so I use in-line fuseholders that use the same type fuse as in my panel. That way I only need to carry one style fuse (in varying current ratings) in my on-board tool kit. I recently bought a cheap Lowrance depthfinder and they included the blade (spade) type holder and fuse. Not sure if I'll use it or stay with one type throughout the boat. Now days it may be easier to walk into your local auto parts store and buy the blade type. Beware: when buying glass fuses, make sure they are "normal-blow", NOT slow-blow.

ngt

ok, I got it. That's not the question I meant to ask. I just didn't know the names of the different fuses. Sorry. Here's my real question.. :)

What's the difference between AGC fuses and MDL fuses? The MDL fuses are slow-blow and were a bit more expensive. I also saw GMA fuses. All the glass type. From reading above, AGC fuses are the way to go, which is what I got. So that's good. But just for my own knowledge, since I obviously have none on this subject. Can someone explain the difference to me?

gma is a metric fuse

agc is a fast acting fuse so if its rated at 3 amps and you put 4 amps through it it will pop is a milisecond

mdl is a slow reacting fuse if its rated at 3 amp and you put 4 amps through it then it will last maybe up to a second before it blows (the higher the over amp the faster it will react)

mdl is used on pumps because a pump will pull additional amps on starting as it has to charge it coils and come up to opperating speed.
agc is used on loads that require no additional starting amps like light bulbs.

manufactors of pumps etc understand the need to over amp on start up so they may surgest a agc fuse that is larger than the running load of the pump. so a pump that pulls 2 amps may be protected by a 5 amp agc fuse

ngt

thank you very much!