What's the best used 50-70hp Outboard for $1,000 or less

Crazy question, but I do ask for a reason.

I bought my first boat last year. It had a 1971 Merc 500 on it. Ran great at WOT, but had issues at lower speeds (stalling, etc). I didn't worry about it too much, just ran it and had fun. $450.00 boat :)

This year I bought a little closed-bow runabout with a 1981 Mercury 50hp on it. I've been having trouble with it and have not had it at WOT yet. That being said, there's a little tri-hull with a mid '80s Johnson 70 VRO, supposedly in good running condition. He'll sell it for less than $1,000, I'd say $6-700.

What's the best "cheap" outboard? I will probably always have an older boat with an older motor. What are some of the weak spots/strengths of the various brands. It'll help me when a deal comes up: :)

Hands on

Recruit
Re: What's the best used 50-70hp Outboard for $1,000 or less

I've found johnson or evinrude to be very durable and reliable the vro are oil injected less hassle w/fuel mixing but we are talking about boats and you know what that stands for?

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Have you tried to diagnose and fix your current engine?

It may be something as simple as a plugged carb, if it runs at all it should be fairly easy to get it running right.

Yes, I'm working on that. I'm just asking in general, because I like to buy
these boats for really cheap, do a little work, use them for a while, and sell them for little bit more. Eventually I want to work my way up to something decent. The perfect boat for my use (and the one I like the best) would be a Boston Whaler 15 (Sport/SuperSport) with a 60-75hp on it. But, that's probably a good ways off given my budget, haha

Rudi2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

General rule of thumb, the Johnny/Rudes will be easier to work on, easier to get parts for, and more people who know about working on them. But there are always exceptions!

Ki Ki

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 1970s Johnson. Took it to a reputable mechanic and he rebuilt the carbs, fuel pump, new fuel line, and did an adjustment .It runs like a new engine. With the repair bill, the trailer, and 14 foot tri hull we now have a great running boat for $1000 total including repair.

I think the older Johnsons are excellent. Also, I'll always go with a boat that you directly mix the fuel and gas together.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Re: "a mid '80s Johnson 70 VRO, supposedly in good running condition. He'll sell it for less than $1,000, I'd say $6-700."

Not a bad price for a motor that's well known as one of OMC's best. Not hard to get parts for.
Note that the motor changed around 1986 so a 1984 is not the same as a 1988.

I'm on my second 70. My current one has an intermittant short that cannot be located--very frustrating. I replaced the wiring harness and the part was more expensive that most harnesses.

Some people recommend disconnecting the VRO because if it fails you are dead. In an older boat you can't rely on alarms.

Remember, if you switch brands you have to switch controls--and they can be expensive. So see if you can get the controls as part of the motor purchase.

1kruzer1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The condition of any used outboard is probably more important than the exact model. An abused, worn out Evinrude 70 is not going to be as enjoyable as a pristine old 65 Merc, so finding a motor in good shape in that price range is the first priority. That being said, the 70 Johnnyrude's are a good, durable design as many on this forum will attest to. When properly tuned they are remarkably fuel efficient for an old design.Weak spots would be they are finicky with even minor carb issues, link & synch, etc. Do a search for bogging or hesitation issues with these motors on this forum and you'll see what I mean. Once the carbs are right these engines are gems. I'd personally avoid the Johnnyrudes with electric or hydraulic assisted shifting, due to decreasing parts availability and expense of repairing the lower unit should something go wrong with these shifting mechanisms. 1976 was the first model year the 70 changed to mechanical shifting. I owned a 1979 4 cylinder 50HP Merc like yours, and I must say to this date that is probably my favorite outboard I've owned. Not particularly fuel efficient, not particularly powerful, but an absolute smooth polished gem nonetheless, and I wish I still had it. Sometimes you'll see a mid 80's 55 or 65HP Suzuki show up. Bulletproof engines but parts are getting hard to come by for them. I'll stop with my opinions, as I'm sure more will chime in. Good luck!

I stopped by my auto mechanic's place today and he had a 50hp evinrude sitting there. When he opened the hood I was shocked at how simple and open it was. Everything was very open and accessible and it looked...simple. Maybe I'm crazy, but I think I'd rather work on that than my mercury! (Of course it was a two cyl. and mine is a four.)