Whats needed to register boat in NC with a FL title?

xoibsurferx

Cadet
I'm looking to purchase a boat tomorrow that has a Florida title. I'm in NC and want to register the boat in NC. He says the title has no place to be notarized or anything. Does it need to be notarized to be registered in NC? I know NC boat titles need to be notarized.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: Whats needed to register boat in NC with a FL title?

the need to notarize is determined by the state of the old title... since florida is a non notarized title state then the title will not need notarized.

xoibsurferx

Cadet

Thank you for the reply. That's nice to know I won't need to track down a notary on a Saturday. Do I need a bill of sale or anything or just the title to get the boat registered?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

That part is determined by your state, but as a general rule... ALWAYS get a bill of sale.... takes 2 minutes and they are much easier to tear up than to conjure out of thin air later.

ALSO your local title office and a florida title office are two places that you should call on the phone and double check this with before hand even after getting advice on the net tho I realize that doesn't fit with your last minute planning......

ninhalo5

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the need to notarize is determined by the state of the old title... since florida is a non notarized title state then the title will not need notarized.
Ugh... I forgot about PA, where everything under the sun is noterized. My boat is a PA boat, signed title, no notary, lovely. Hopefully WV don't notice. Man, hope you don't fall into the same trap I did. No title for trailer, no bill of sale, no notary on the boat title, just cash and carry. Guess my hole in the water just sunk. I'm so used to MD laws where nothing is noterized they sign the title and it's over and done with, go to the MVA and give them money. :facepalm:

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Do I need a bill of sale or anything or just the title to get the boat registered?

All you need is a properly executed title for the boat/motor, that goes to NCWRC. DMV, however, will want to see a notarized bill of sale as well as the trailer registration from FL. Don't remember if it was a trailer title state back then ...

dan02gt

Chief Petty Officer

NCWRC will give you no problems. However, if you don't have a notarized title for the trailer that shows a full chain of custody be prepared for a lot of fun with the DMV. I bought my boat from GA which doesn't do titles in June and I'm still not done with all the bs.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Ugh... I forgot about PA, where everything under the sun is noterized. My boat is a PA boat, signed title, no notary, lovely. Hopefully WV don't notice. Man, hope you don't fall into the same trap I did. No title for trailer, no bill of sale, no notary on the boat title, just cash and carry. Guess my hole in the water just sunk. I'm so used to MD laws where nothing is noterized they sign the title and it's over and done with, go to the MVA and give them money. :facepalm:

WV will notice

Triangleboater

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes, boats are no problem, call the NCWRC North Carolina Wildlife Resources commission and ask how it's done. The trailer. Good luck. I bought from georgia and still haven't figured it out.

dan02gt

Chief Petty Officer

Yes, boats are no problem, call the NCWRC North Carolina Wildlife Resources commission and ask how it's done. The trailer. Good luck. I bought from georgia and still haven't figured it out.

Here's what I've found out in my last 9 months of dealing with it. This only applies to trailers that the title doesn't show a clear and notarized chain of custody. I have the original title to my trailer, but it just shows it going from the manufacturer to the dealer that originally sold the boat so NCDMV will not accept it.

You have to fill out DMV forms for a lost title and a few other things. I think they are MVR-1, MVR-92H, and MVR-8, and some of them must be notarized.

You have to indemnity bond the trailer for at least 3 years. This cost about $50 per year and your insurance company can help with this. Use form MVR-92D for this.

You must have the trailer inspected by the DMV. Real easy and they come to you.

If your boat is financed you must have the bank release the lean for the bond to be recorded. This makes no sense to me or my bank but whatever.

The DMV is going to screw this up multiple times so be prepared to get letters in the mail an have to send in more forms months after you have your tags and think your done.

I hope this helps, and you can get all these forms off of the ncdot.gov web site.

xoibsurferx

Cadet

Here's what I've found out in my last 9 months of dealing with it. This only applies to trailers that the title doesn't show a clear and notarized chain of custody. I have the original title to my trailer, but it just shows it going from the manufacturer to the dealer that originally sold the boat so NCDMV will not accept it.

You have to fill out DMV forms for a lost title and a few other things. I think they are MVR-1, MVR-92H, and MVR-8, and some of them must be notarized.

You have to indemnity bond the trailer for at least 3 years. This cost about $50 per year and your insurance company can help with this. Use form MVR-92D for this.

You must have the trailer inspected by the DMV. Real easy and they come to you.

If your boat is financed you must have the bank release the lean for the bond to be recorded. This makes no sense to me or my bank but whatever.

The DMV is going to screw this up multiple times so be prepared to get letters in the mail an have to send in more forms months after you have your tags and think your done.

I hope this helps, and you can get all these forms off of the ncdot.gov web site.

I purchased the boat. The title didn't have a place to notarize it and the marina I called this morning to double check on things said that it would void the title if she notarized it. So I got a bill of sale for the boat notarized and a bill of sale for the trailer notarized and a note stating that the trailer is from florida and they don't do titles in FL but I do have the FL boat title to prove the trailer was with the boat I bought. Now I know getting the boat registered shouldn't be an issue but I got a feeling I won't be able to get the trailer registered since NC requires a title and wants it bonded and all that mess to get it titled and registered. I'll probably end up using the tag of my lawn care trailer =/.

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

See if you can get the prior registration, if you don't have it. If DMV gets entrenched, ask to speak with a supervisor, ask for references in DMV statutes (all agencies have them), and be sure to take whatever they insist on back to that supervisor. They may not be happy that you question their womanhood, but that's tough s**t, they're contract state employees ... :)

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

another option you have is to title or register the trailer in your name in another state You MAY be able to get it registered to you in Florida over the phone and through the mail...... you will have to give them an address "where the trailer will be parked" in that state IE 101 main in the town of the DMV office works or if you are worried, the address of a local storage lot or the motel you are staying at that night. You still give them your HOME address for mailing.... then you can easily get it titled and tagged in your home state.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander

I went through pretty much the same situation 2 months ago. The best way to handle it is to go here: NCDOT: Contact
Click on Contact Us and explain exactly what paper work you have and they will tell you if there is more paper work needed. I went back and forth at least 4 times and ended up having a real easy time registering an Ohio trailer that had no title. I did print out all the emails I sent and received just to make sure the local license tag bureau knew I had contacted the DOT and had my ducks in a row.
The trailer did have a current registration. They checked the trailer VIN and verified it was not stolen. I got my boat title one week and my trailer title the next week.

dan02gt

Chief Petty Officer

The best thing to do is do it right. It might be a pain but it will be worth it in the end, especially when you go to sell it.

The main issue I have had in getting everything done is the fact that my boat is financed. So there is a lean on the trailer and in order to bond the trailer the bond must be recorded with the DOT in the owners name not the lean holder (the bank). So I had to work with the bank to get this all sorted out and have them do a lean release form. I'm financed with Bank of the West who have been great to work with, but are not 100% familiar with all the b.s. NCDOT requires so it took them a little while to research things and figure out what to do.

Talking to a manager at the DMV is not going to help you one bit. They just send the required stuff to Raleigh and that's where all head aches come in. In my case DOT and the DMV told me my old title wasn't worth anything but I gave it to the DMV anyway. Then DOT came back and said they wanted it even though I gave it to the DMV already. It just seems like they're very incompetent, and keep messing things up.

The best thing to do is call the DOT on Monday and let them tell you all the forms you need. I listed them best I can remember earlier. Download them off the web site and get them filled out. Schedule the inspector to come out and look at the trailer. After this is done you should be able to get the bond from your insurance company. I got mine from State Farm. Once you get the bond you should be able to hand everything to the DMV and get your tags.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander

Even though my trailer did not have a title I never had to get a bond. I was told that a trailer inspection is done where you normally get your car or truck inspected. In my case I skipped the trailer inspection and nobody at the license tag bureau said a word about getting it inspected. They just took my forms and money and away I went with the registration and license plate. It may be a lot different if there is a lien on the trailer, as dan02gt said.

dan02gt

Chief Petty Officer

Even though my trailer did not have a title I never had to get a bond. I was told that a trailer inspection is done where you normally get your car or truck inspected. In my case I skipped the trailer inspection and nobody at the license tag bureau said a word about getting it inspected. They just took my forms and money and away I went with the registration and license plate. It may be a lot different if there is a lien on the trailer, as dan02gt said.

That's odd you got lucky. A DOT officer inspected mine. She was really nice and it took about 15 minutes. She met me at my house about a hour after I called. She verified the condition and made sure it wasn't stolen, which is the bug reason for the inspection.

My neighbors had to do the same thing to get theirs done.

xoibsurferx

Cadet

I'm planning to go to the DMV tomorrow and see what they say. The trailer went from Florida to SC doesn't require a trailer to be registered or titled so I have no registration or anything for the trailer. Also the trailer has a lot of rust so I'm not sure if it'll be worth the hassle if they won't register it for me. I'll bring the notarized bill of sale and notarized note and title for the boat and see what they say. I doubt they'll register it for me but its worth a shot. I'll also register the boat tomorrow!

Does anyone know who made the boat I have? The guy the previous owner bought it from didn't have a title for it and the previous owner was in Maryland and they were super cool and gave him a hull identification boat and titled it for him as a home made boat. I can't find anything on it as to who manufactured it but its 16ft.

392843_10151525511614189_1859984385_n.jpg

Hackster

Cadet

Yeah, in SC, don't need a trailer title, but *do* need a separate title for an outboard motor. Go figure.

I'll give you one bit of advice that has worked for me on multiple occasions, even though I'm one state south from you. When you hit a brick wall with a state agency, or progress grinds to a halt in getting something done, contact your state legislator. The vast majority want to be re-elected, and will bend over backwards to demonstrate their dedication to constituent service. Senators seem to get a little more attention than House reps, but either will do- pick one who's been in office for awhile.

Best of luck with it.

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I believe NC DMV does registrations and titles, and is a subdivision of DOT. Talking to a supervisor means talking with someone not on the counter, and it smooths things when you return to the same person with the paperwork they told you is needed. I had made 2 trips and told I needed something additional both times. After speaking with a supervisor, one of the 'required' items was bogus, and I hadn't been informed about another. The 3rd trip went smooth ... :)