What's my Boat Made Out Of???

Dry Diver

Seaman
Hello,

I have a 1984 Achilles inflatable. I am unsure of which material it is made out of. Hypalon or PVC. Is there any way to tell. I am interested because I think that I might have some patch work to do and wonder if the method of preparing them is any different.

Thank you in advance for all the help.

Huron Angler

Admiral
Re: What's my Boat Made Out Of???

This is from the 1984 Achilles inflatable boat brochure:

[Achilles starts with a heavy duty nylon core material produced to their own exact specifications. This tough basic fabric is then strengthened further with two durable man-made elastomers, Hypalon and Neoprene. Instead of using a vinyl-based coating on the exterior of their boats as some other manufacturers do, Achilles uses Dupont Hypalon. Hypalon is a superior additive for resisting damage from abrasions, punctures, oil, gasoline or the weathering effects of the sun, ozone and warm salt water. And Achilles uses an industry high 80% Hypalon compound developed through years of experience and testing.]

This is the link where the brochure can be downloaded-

http://www.achillesinflatables.com/downloads/

This is the actual brochure-

http://www.achillesinflatables.com/pdf/files/1984achilles_catalog.pdf

I hope this helps- I know I just learned a decent amount about the Achilles- they seem like pretty solid little boats.

Where do you dive? I'm in Michigan and we have some land within a new Federal Marine Sanctuary designed to protect shipwrecks. All I need to do is finish my open water certification and buy a few more pieces of gear and I'll be diving:D

Drowned Rat

Captain

Achilles uses Hypalon as stated.

You can find detailed repair procedures here >> www.nrsweb.com

As well as all the materials you'll need to do the job.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

You can patch it with hypalon or PVC material as it needs to be glued anyway ....