What's in a Name....Captain, skipper, operator

ebry710

Ensign
The term "boat operator" isn't very catchy. Captain is what I prefer, but that seems to denote license, boat size or naval designation. Skipper seems appropriate but outside of Gilligan's Island and McHale's Navy I do not usually hear that term.

So what does the average iboat consider himself/herself? Captain, skipper, operator or something else?

Campylobacter

Chief Petty Officer
Re: What's in a Name....Captain, skipper, operator

Kinda dull, and probably inaccurate: I'm the driver.

seaman campbell

Chief Petty Officer

Every Vessel must have a Captain. However, owner, builder, chief architect, they all fit. It's your choice. :D;)

TC

scipper77

Commander

Scipper, play on my last name first 4 letters are scip, anyone care to guess what the full last name is??

Shizzy

Ensign

its my boat, Im usually solo on it, I call myself whatever I feel fit. :D

CATransplant

Admiral

Well, I just call myself George, but that's just me.

I do know that every guide who has ever taken someone fishing down in Florida calls himself Captain, though. Up here in the North Country, the guides don't do that. Mostly they just go by their names or some nickname. I think if some Minnesota fishing guide called himself "Captain," he'd get laughed off the water. :D

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

You're nothing more than the Opertor until you've earned the license, and the right, to be called Captain.

FWIW: In Florida you must be a registered Captain to get a Guide license.

mthieme

Captain

Last season, during one of my many visits from DNR, once they asked who the Captain was.

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer

Well, I just call myself George, but that's just me.

I do know that every guide who has ever taken someone fishing down in Florida calls himself Captain, though. Up here in the North Country, the guides don't do that. Mostly they just go by their names or some nickname. I think if some Minnesota fishing guide called himself "Captain," he'd get laughed off the water. :D

Fishing guides in Fla must have a license to operate, it's a capt license, hence the use of the term. Folks have referred to each other here as "Capt" as long as I can remember, it can be used as a sign of respect or in a joking manner depending on who it's being aimed at....we usually refer to yankees operating rental boats as "Capt" too, but thats not used in a respectful manner.

ebry710

Ensign

You're nothing more than the Opertor until you've earned the license, and the right, to be called Captain.

FWIW: In Florida you must be a registered Captain to get a Guide license.

That my gut feeling, but in places that the US or European governments have not made naval rules formal, their operators are called captains.

I will not use that designation in the US to respect people who are formal Captains.

But that said, "vessel operator" is a DMV/Coast Guard Term. A 12 year old delinquent kid taking a boat for a joy ride is also called a "vessel operator". With that said, a person who knows maritime rules, knows his vessel inside and out and takes responsibility for his passenger should be called something.

I still like skipper.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

When I lived in Ft. Lauderdale I had a "6 pack" Captain's license, but in virtually every interaction with water law officers they called me "Skipper". None ever addressed me as "helmsman" or "vessel operator".

I will not mention what the occasional snowbird with the Hatteras 50 called me when I exercised right of way in a 16' Whaler. :)

baconbiscut

Petty Officer 1st Class

My friends call me Skipper Dan

Dan

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

When I lived in Ft. Lauderdale I had a "6 pack" Captain's license, but in virtually every interaction with water law officers they called me "Skipper". None ever addressed me as "helmsman" or "vessel operator".

I will not mention what the occasional snowbird with the Hatteras 50 called me when I exercised right of way in a 16' Whaler. :)

Over here I would be afraid to try to exercise that right of way. There are some really oblivious captains(?) running around our waters.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

That my gut feeling, but in places that the US or European governments have not made naval rules formal, their operators are called captains.

I will not use that designation in the US to respect people who are formal Captains.

But that said, "vessel operator" is a DMV/Coast Guard Term. A 12 year old delinquent kid taking a boat for a joy ride is also called a "vessel operator". With that said, a person who knows maritime rules, knows his vessel inside and out and takes responsibility for his passenger should be called something.

I still like skipper.

Well Your Eminence,
Whether you like it or not, both are indeed just that ....vessel operators.
It would seem to me that your time would be better spent ensuring that you are, by your own definition, "a person who knows maritime rules, knows his vessel inside and out and takes responsibility for his passenger ". Most people that I know do have a term for that....."competent". That should be its own reward!
If you achieve that, you shouldn't have to worry about the manner in which you are described, unless you need the ego-boost that might accrue from an important-sounding sobriquet.
If a title is that important, there are programs in which you can enrol that will result in an important-sounding title that you can wear.

BTW, "skipper" is just as often used to refer to a baseball manager, and spring training has started. :)

ebry710

Ensign

Well Your Eminence

So far that is the best title I have heard. Thanks for the suggestion.

Although it would seem self serving to call myself anything but my name, it would be handy to call a unknown "boat operator" something else but "hey you" or "hey vessel operator" or I my usually "hey dude" or "hi".

I am now more inclined to call a competent boat operator "hey skipper" or your thought "hey your eminence".:):):)

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer

actually if I posted what I refer to most other boat operators as I would prolly be banned for life from this forum.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

actually if I posted what I refer to most other boat operators as I would prolly be banned for life from this forum.

LMAO!!! No if ands or buts about it Cap!

Mike Robinson

Senior Chief Petty Officer

In the "International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea" there is no such designation as "right of way". There are only "give way" and "stand on" vessels and even if your vessel is the "stand on" vessel you are still obligated to take action to avoid a collision if it becomes apparent that a collision can not be avoided by the "give way" vessel alone.

Sorry I'll get off my soap box now :) I just feel it's important to make this distinction.

To get back to the subject I feel skipper is probably the best title for a small boat operator.

airframer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

from being in the navy for so many years i can't imagine someone being called skipper unless there's a lot of crew members on board. capt. for a small vessel, and anything used personally. . . call yourself an amateur:D

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the VHF, is used quite often here, due to bridges, and marinas, the Bridger tenders and operators here all use the term "Captian" when communicating with the boats. i think it is more respect, than anything else.