What's happening in Florida?

marty_scher

Petty Officer 1st Class
Calmly reading a finance magazine while my son was getting a tooth filled (lucky me, they don't let parents in), they listed a forecast (from the Bureau of Labor Statistics) of the highest job growth areas in the U.S., in the next few years.<br /><br />Florida had about a third of the cities listed, with West Palm Beach, Ft Lauderdale and Jacksonville over 24% growth.<br /><br />Anyone with a crystal ball or insider information care to comment? <br /><br />Certainly has to be more than just an increase of old fogies, needing warmth :D <br /><br />Marty

Ralph 123

Captain
Re: What's happening in Florida?

Marty,<br /><br />It's all those retiring baby boomers flying south...<br /><br />I don't think there is any new big industry centered in FL except maybe geriatric medicine :D

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

"over 24% growth." Ha! Thats a low estimate... Thats also why I'm leaving!<br /><br />Now for the insider information, and I can only speak for West Palm Beach and Ft. lauderdale areas.. Construction! thats where the jobs and big money are...<br /><br />SWAMP LAND FOR SALE!.. Come on down and buy ya some... Yup, thats right, the Everglades is for sale.. And the developers buy it up, FAST! (did i mention, the developers line the pockets $$$$$ of the county comission, state legislators, and the governor, big time?)<br /><br /> Most of the growth is west of town, much of it was under a foot of water in the wet season... Now, it's drained off and a bunch of zero lot line ugly houses and shopping malls sit where a swamp used to be..<br /><br />I can't wait for the big wet hurricane... When "water management" fails... It's going to be an insurance nightmare... Hope yer flood insurance is paid up... SUCKERS! <br /><br />It's good to be on the hill... :D I'm 32 ft. above sea level.. :p

miloman

Lieutenant Junior Grade

hey snapper are they really allowed to build over that? Isnt that a real important water source

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Miloman.... Yes and No.. Certain areas are protected, for now... <br /><br />Example: I live on the ridge which is basicly a sand dune that runs up and down the entire east coast of Florida about a mile or two west of the atlantic ocean... Three blocks west of me at dreher park is where the "real" everglades start, or used to anyway.. <br /><br />The thing that makes me mad is people who live in the "upscale western communities, or swamps" that complain about how bad the environment is, the mercury in the fish, Florida bay dying, and so on, are the ones who contribute most to the problem... The tons of fertilizer and other chemicals that get washed away after rain all goes into the lakes and canals and eventually into the costal waters and the Everglades... (I wonder how many envro wacko's live in wellington?) The big sugar companies get away with gross amounts of polution...<br /><br />Their trying to clean things up by filtering the water before it goes into the everglades but theres only so much that can be done.. The damage is done and there ain't no fixing it...<br /> <br />So, come on down and kill some more of the Everglades... (**** yankees :p )<br /><br />Dang! I'm starting ta sound like the envro wackos.. Nahh, just a restless native.. :D

miloman

Lieutenant Junior Grade

nope I think you have a good point there it usually is those types of ppl who ruin the environment

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

I figured the growth was for the new manual ballot counters for the next presidential election

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Nahhh! We don't need no stinking counters... They gots special computers ta screw that up now... :rolleyes:

miloman

Lieutenant Junior Grade

naw snapper wait until California is done then Florida will look like heaven when it comes to vote counting