what yr(s) johnson???

kfa4303

Banned
Re: what yr(s) johnson???

Hi losnbama. When setting the points be sure you do so at the highest spot on the oblong/eliptical cranksahft cam. It generally lines up with the "O" in TOP, but it may be slightly to one side or the other. Here's a handy link that can walk you though a vintage OMC ignition set up. It's for a different motor, but the process is the same.

http://www.outboard-boat-motor-repa...on 3 HP 1952-1967 Ignition System Tune-up.htm

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

I was told by a long-time OMC master mechanic to line up the keyway with the fiber rider on the point rocker. That is in exactly the same spot on all the old Johnrude twins, so there's no room for error, or an errant "O"....

losnbama

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well its one or the other aeh?what about this...go with what feels right.ya know just at the last possible moment when compression is lost to exhaust...i used a palm wrench to turn the flywheel while setting the points and i could feel just when the pressure was lost and i looked at the came each time.it took many times and came up with...on this motor line up between "O-P"dc and it starts with a prime and 1 pull!!!!! i cant thank yall enough for your effort in this of i hope many projects...

losnbama

Petty Officer 2nd Class

not just yet kfa4304.seein as im out of $ on this project.im stuck on the shifter...i found one but not the exact one...had to modify the shift lock to fit the shifter...it sits in neutral and reverse good but im not sure about forward gear...it engages good but the throttle plate does not open all the way...at wot the follower still has at least 1/2" before the end of the cam...this is a pict of the stop plate,in forward gear at wot(or as far as the twist grip will twist) throttle plate.jpg where should the shift lock sit while at wot in forward 1,2,3??? i know pos 1 is for start-up...pos 2 has quite a bit of wear.and pos 3 has almost no wear at all...

losnbama

Petty Officer 2nd Class

since that last ? didnt get a response may the video will,even if for bad lighting...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiVdIZ_5AK4&feature=feedu there is a rub somewhere towards the end of the video. sounds like the fly wheel rubbing on the coils,but havent pulled it to see.too dark or could be the thin piece of galv metal i used to mount the f.pump...the fly is tight and spinning it by hand i couldnt feel anything...

losnbama

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i still think it needs something. gonna reset the points this eve

kfa4303

Banned

Niiice. Lookin' good. Did you ever get the previous issue sorted out? How did you clean/prep your motor before you started painting? I know can get the little stuff, but there are some large grease deposits that I need to clean up before I can paint mine. Did you use self-etching, aluminum primer? This link may help get the points sorted out. Keep us posted.

http://www.outboard-boat-motor-repa...on 3 HP 1952-1967 Ignition System Tune-up.htm

losnbama

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks yeah the rattle was on the fuel pump plate i made...cleaned up one edge that wouldnt allow the bolt to seat fully...and just needed to tighten all the fuel lines again and got a new fuel connector on the motor...it starts first pull now:)"self etching primer"??? sanded it down to metal where needed and feathered the edges of the rest...did i do this wrong? uugh i hope not..its the cheaper way so its prob wrong:( as far as the shifter...not really...pos 3 has no obvious wear...but really wont know if pos2 in forward will open it up,not been able to get it to big water.the throttle plate is almost all the way open in pos2 in forward...maybe i need to adjust the throttle arm to full open at this point.but that would throw off the start pos uuuugh!

losnbama

Petty Officer 2nd Class

man you guys just dont know how pleased i am with this motor! on my iphone wind meter it got 17.5mph with a steady cross wind of the same. 12mph with a 17.5mph head wind. can this motor do more?? its on a 14' old all riveted semi v with a new front deck. ima post picts in a new thread tomorrow. i think this motor can do more. it wants to plane out sooo bad. at idle in gear it sputters a bit but smoothed out with the idle adjust knob easily like its supposed to. just maybe a 1/16 turn and well ya know. the trim pin is in the last hole closest to the boat. any reply appreciated :)

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

I do not know where you are with the year...but I'm guessing 1964.

Mas

losnbama

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hey mas thanks yeah thats what we've been going on..its been awaiting sale since i started this thread,and it hasnt sold yet and ive used it so...HA ima keep it...but i know there is a way to get this motor to put my boat on plane..theres just gotta be...? maybe advance the timing? new prop? its running the original prop now...dont have the numbers on hand atm.

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Kinda wondering how it's not planing if you're getting 17.5 mph...which is pretty good.

Check the distribution of weight in your boat....may need to balance the boat out. Also, where does the cavitation plate on the lower leg of the motor sit in relation to the bottom of the hull??...the motor may be sitting too low or too high and killing performance.

I think the motor sounds good and isn't too far out of adjustment.

Mas

losnbama

Petty Officer 2nd Class

download.jpg download1.jpg here is the setup today without a 48qt live-well,tackle bag(10lbs),my 275lb big arse on the back seat,everything else is in front of the middle seat...im probly to much for planing out with this motor lol