what yr(s) johnson???

losnbama

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: what yr(s) johnson???

excellant to here that...i was affraid this one was gonna be more than me or my tools can handle.need a flywheel puller,spark tester(used the ole grounded out plug to test) and a comp tester.the rest i have...thanks so much for the enthusiasm... and after further review of iboats forums earlier today i found that a spark on this kinda of motor is,well the least of my worries..i need to start taking the lower unit apart and checking there as those replace parts is kinda outta my $ range atm but hey im still young haha i looked in the motor cover and its an 18hp no year tho...and i still cant find any numbers to confirm the year...???? the id plate is missing

losnbama

Petty Officer 2nd Class

those are some gr8 reads...good video but no sound

kfa4303

Banned

some of the earlier episodes are silent, but the later episodes have sound (at least they used to?). I'm not sure why? As for getting a positive ID on the motor, look for a welch plug on the motor with a series of numbers and letters stamped into it. Just post them once you find it and we can get and ID. It's usually on the port side of the motor. Hopefully, the parts in the LU just need a little TLC. It's really not that bad taking it apart and putting it back together again. Just go slow and take pics along the way if need be. here's a link on changing the LU seals for an 18 hp. Mots importantly, fix one thing at a time so you can systematically eliminate variables and troubleshoot as you go.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=277190&highlight=lower+unit+seal+kit+installation

losnbama

Petty Officer 2nd Class

im stumped too...ive binged so many numbers off this motor with nothing of a year mentioned...ANYWHERE :( just one question...? when did the all black face (as in the first pic of this thread...change to a red top and black bottom??? as in this pic??? 1965 18 hp (red and black front).jpg

kfa4303

Banned

Try scraping away some of the paint on the ID tag I circled in the previous pic. I can see the tag so you should be able to get to it. The model number will be under there. You may need to use some acetone or a bit of paint stripper to take off the paint. It should say FD-XX. I still think it's a '65 or so. The good new is that it doesn't matter a whole lot b/c the 18 hp were virtually unchanged for years.

losnbama

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the plate is gone...and good to hear that its not changed much...i found a link for a dwnload for a bunch of manuals by year or hp...http://www.bimmerbits.com/JE_Manual/JE.htm its a pdf link 295mb so b ready to store a lot of info...its scanned pages but its free...(moderators remove the link if you feel the need too)

losnbama

Petty Officer 2nd Class

great info at duckworth's columns kfa4303. thanks... im ready to start checkin this motor our..jus need extra time..finished a small 5hp eska this past wknd..first motor ever..but that another post lol... ill b back...

losnbama

Petty Officer 2nd Class

everything looks gr8! in the lower unit so far...IMG_0580[1].jpg oil from gearcase...IMG_0577[1].jpg crank to drive shaft coup and housing spotless IMG_0579[1].jpg little oxidation on water pump housing IMG_0582[1].jpg and impeller housing IMG_0583[1].jpg lower drive splines in perfect condition

kfa4303

Banned

lookin' good. I got my '66 runnin' ok in a tank now. still not pumping enough water so gettin' a new impeller tomorrow and I'm having trouble getting into REV, so I have to fiddle with the shift rod linkage some, but after that I'm gonne get on the water. All and all, bringing her back to life wasn't so bad. Let me know if you get stuck. Good luck!

P.S.
I just found out that you can order Sierra parts through your local NAPA dealer, and they can usually have it in store 24 hrs later. You have to pay upfront, but otherwise it's basically like getting overnight shipping for free. Once you know all the parts you need, try giving them a call and ordering them, you should get them all at once the next day. Sure beats waiting a week, or so for various parts to trickle in from ebay, amazon, or other sites.

losnbama

Petty Officer 2nd Class

no doubt kfa4303...its lookin real good atm...but i think the shifter on mine is missing something...the arm with the notches in it for the governor plate(??? assuming thats rightly called) wont stay ingaged...i think the shifter has broken a piece off somehow... IMG_0586[1].jpg IMG_0587[1].jpg also IMG_0584[1].jpg the pic is blurry but is this still a useable drive shaft??? the top is a bit scuffed...how would this happen??? oh and the impeller was prolly replaced b4 it was put down to rest IMG_0581[1].jpg it still looks new...well mostly haha

losnbama

Petty Officer 2nd Class

oh yeah my bad :( i looked yesday in the cover and its an 18hp motor oopsyIMG_0588[1].jpg

losnbama

Petty Officer 2nd Class

378609 handle (shifter. johnson models only)

losnbama

Petty Officer 2nd Class

got the lower unit water pump etc. on this morning...started on the fuel pump and UUUGH wat a mess...cant seem to find the right rebuild kit for it. the only #s i can find on it are inside one cover(black plastic)311197 and the other side(alum) 3040892 any ideas?IMG_0592[1].jpg outer cover plt

kfa4303

Banned

Hello again losnbama. If I'm not mistaken, there are not fuel pump rebuild kits for these guys :/ You have to buy a new one or scavenge one off of a donor motor. You might get lucky and be able to clean it, reinstall it and have it work. Most new Sierra replacement pumps are about $45-$60, but there may be other ones that are less expensive fuel pumps for use in motors other than outboards. I have seen vidson youube where folks have done fuel pump replacements/conversions using Briggs and Stratton fuel pumps. You might want to check ebay too. You might be able to find a used or NOS one there.

losnbama

Petty Officer 2nd Class

correct you are kfa4303. i can get one from a local sierra dealer but yeah 66$ for the pump. 24$ for a carb kit. the float was the cork kind and well u know the rest of that haha. the coils and such looked gr8 tho!! jus need the pump,carb kit,and plug wires to start reassembly. b/s aeh. ill check those straight away. ty. im still searching for a better part no on the shifter i think is nroken or missing a piece. may be its the shifter lock that goes in frnt of the shifter handle???

losnbama

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well found those briggs pumps. now jow do i seal off the third line? the original only had 2

kfa4303

Banned

HI losnbamba. I believe that the third line you're referring to is the vacuum to the engine block. The original pumps mount directly to the engine block and use a gasket and a plate, but the Briggs pumps use a length of tubing rather than mounting on to the engine block directly. They flop around a bit as a result so you may hvae to zip tie it in place, or moutn it elsewhere. I even saw one vid where a guy mounted his fuel pump outside of the cowling. Check out this vid and see if it helps. Check out the :50 - 1:00 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Suuy-827T78&feature=related

losnbama

Petty Officer 2nd Class

cool those are cheaper ty...i noticed a oil return and oil line. doesnt the oil get mixed with the gas in this motor???