What year is my outdrive??? This is really confusing.

BigBabyLou

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My setup is 1989 Ciera Sunbridge with '88 (possibly '87?) 460 King Cobra.<br /><br />I just took off the outdrive unit today to service the U-joints. As I was taking it off, I was making sure that I first disengage the shift cable coupling on the port side (as Clymer says) but there is no such thing. Instead, the unit looks like it's pre '88 (according to Clymer and photos).<br /><br />When I was buying the boat, I called the Bayliner HQ with the hull ID and they told me that the boat was an '89 model built possibly at the end of '88. But why would I have a 1987 outdrive?? :mad: <br /><br />Does this make sense?<br /><br />Thanks for any answers.<br />Lou<br /><br />P.S.: The serial # on the outdrive is 985275, if this helps.

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander
Re: What year is my outdrive??? This is really confusing.

Lou...it's possible if the dealer had one sitting around that he wanted to use. My boat is a 90, built in Aug of 89 with 89 engines in it. Use the web page from Trent and use the mod # off the engine to look it up. Normally the drive engine are the same year. You can still get original OMC manuals from the dealer rather than use the generic ones which usually leave something to be desired. I never heard of a shift cable coupling on the port side of a cobra?

BigBabyLou

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, got the engine serial # tonight. It's 754BPRGDP which, according to Trent's link (thanks!), points to a 1988 model. If anyone can tell more from this #, I'd sure welcome any info. Thanks.<br /><br />I looked at Seloc's manual today and that one does not differentiate between pre-1988 and since-1988 outdrive models. Strange.<br /><br />Lou

tomdel

Cadet

if you know the make try calling/e-mailing the manufactor and tell them the ser# and they can tell you what it is and also maybe sell/give you a parts book.

vinney

Chief Petty Officer

There are two versions of the king cobra. The first is a clutch dog and gear set design. The shifting takes place in bottom end of the lower unit. The second is a cone clutch design. The shifting is done in the upper part of the lower unit. To tell the difference look at where the shift linkage is. If you pull the drive and the linkage is in side the transome bracket. Its the clutch dog design. OMC had a lot of problems with this design. Thats why they went to a cone clutch design like volvo uses.The drive will not come off of the cone clutch design without disconnecting the linkage for the shift. It is located on the side of the drive on the upper part of this drive.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

I have a 1988 OMC shop manual, and it appears that for the King Cobra they were still using the original design with the shifting in the lower unit. The shift cable is in a retainer on the right side of the drive as you are facing it from the stern, it is between the 2nd and 3rd mounting studs for the drive.You only have to disconnect the trim rams and the six locknuts that hold the drive on.<br />Vinney, I have heard of the shifting problems, mine has been pretty good so far, to keep it shifting well is it necessary to clean and adjust the transom shift cable once a season (salt water use)?? Mine actually shifts a little smoother than my buddy's Mercrusier Alpha drive--<br />My plan with this boat is to keep the Cobra going as long as I can get parts for it. When that becomes a problem, I hear that the Volvo SX can be installed on the OMC transom plate (and the later Cobras with the cone shifing are quite similar to the Volvo). It will cost a lot but cheaper than new and better than another used boat unless I get lucky.

vinney

Chief Petty Officer

The king cobra had the big block behind it. Everyone we sold in the 80's broke the pinion gear . We couldnt repair them fast enough. I like the design but it didnt hold up to real world conditions. OMC took the gear case off there v8 outboard and stuck in on a strndrive. The torque curve is different. It always seem to me the design was good the parts wouldnt hold up to load put upon them.