what year is my 18 hp evinrude

lordblitzalot

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: what year is my 18 hp evinrude

has anyone had any exp with these motors?
are they good?

rjezuit

Chief Petty Officer

The Fastwin 15, 18 20 Hp motors are some of the best OMC ever made. They started out as 15's went to 18 in the late 50's and then to 20 and eventually 25hp. Parts are numerous and cheap, easy to work on and very reliable. I have a 1956 15hp that still starts with 1 pull when warm, 2 when cold. They are light weight for their power and well built. Rick

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

They are great engines. I have probably close to 10 of them in various states of repair. Get the model # of the transom plate and post it. It looks like early 70's to me. But the head looks much older due to the color.

But rjezuit, you're a tad off. The 15 was a 19.94 cu in engine. Different from all the 18's, 20's and 25's that were 22 cu in after it. Not a lot different but much fewer parts interchange. On the 22 cu in engines they're really swap a lot! From the late 50's into the mid 70's or so I believe (that's too new for me).

lordblitzalot

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i looked all over it for the model number and the serial number but couldnt find it anywhere, just a bunch of part numbers on the parts inside. is there somewhere im not looking? i had no problem finding the numbers on my 15 hp johnson or the merc motor that i traded for this

it looks like someone repainted the inside but im not sure.

but sounds like i got a good trade, just need to find the year so i can get a new impeller for it because the guy that i got it from wasnt sure when it was changed but he did start it for me and id fired right up and seemed to run good

if i end up finding the model number i will post it.

thanks for the replies

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

a round disc (freeze plug on block) that motor has been repainted, has a johnson head on it, and shaft extension, making it a long shaft. it really looks to a collection of several different motors. nothing wrong with that, as long as it runs well.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Is the plate not there on the starboard side of the transom mount? It might be painted over? If so scrape it off.

I think the impellers were the same for all the 18's but am not sure into the 70's.

Go to this site: http://www.old-omc.de/ and try and match the hood cover (assuming it is original)

rjezuit

Chief Petty Officer

Samo, you are correct on the CID, but many other parts are identical. Even the carbs etc for a short time after they went to the 22 CID powerhead. In either case they are mostly the same, and very reliable etc. Rick

alangf

Petty Officer 2nd Class

These were very good engines. They were straight forward without any "quirky" features. A generic late 60's to early 70's repair manual is all you will need. The serial number tag is supposed to be on the outside of the port clamp bracket. From the picture I can't tell if yours has been painted over or if it is gone. Good luck!