What would you pay?

NADA doesnt even go this old. Its not for me but a friend. 1973 crestliner cuddy. Guy is asking $4,000. For its age it looks pretty good. I was thinking if it ran fine and everything worked maybe $2,000?

crst2.jpgcrst3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Idlespeedonly

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: What would you pay?

I think I would let him keep it. That is a stringer not a mercruiser drive. other than that It appears to be well cared for.

Edit: If it passed a sea trial with flying colors, no rot,I would probably consider it for 2000 dollars. If I could get a couple of years out of it I would be happy. The trailer alone is worth over 1000 dollars.

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member

If everything runs fine and the boat is in good shape, $2k is reasonable for it. A '73 is an OMC electric shift Stringer Drive. OMC's been outta' business for over 10 years and they stopped making the Electric Shift around '77. It's a decent drive, but it'll require attention.

I'd say pass, unless you're familiar with the drive. Most mechanics I encounter won't even look at it.

Welcome aboard.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Welcome aboard.

Sorry but I would absolutely pass on that. I have no doubt of the condition since it is "military owned" ;) and probably has low hours but due to the age and MOST of all the out of production VERY problematic outdrive.

thumpar

Admiral

If it was Merc or Volvo I would say go for it at $2k to maybe $3k but with the stringer drive I wouldn't touch it.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

I've rebuilt/worked on them drives quite a bit. As it stands now,I won't touch them anymore.:facepalm:

Thanks for the input guys. I'm trying to get him to check out an 88 bluewater 19' open bow with a 5.7 he's just looking for a family boat. Hopefully the stringers are good.