What wood for cushion bases?

joleda

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am going to remake all of the bases for my Bayliner cushions. Is there a particular plywood that I should use? Is there a special sealant that I should use on the wood? Or is it just cheaper to replace the wood every few years with a basic exterior plywood?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: What wood for cushion bases?

sanded on side, 1/2 inch exterior plywood is fine, should last 10 years. coat all sides and edges, with 2 to 3 coats of good exterior paint. nicks in paint should be touched up every year.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I use 1/2" pressure treated plywood, which I dry out well, and coat with polyester resin, on all sides.

dvan1901

Chief Petty Officer

Just about any good plywood (treated or not) that is good and dry coated with a couple coat of resin will last a long time. Be sure to soak the edges of the wood really good though as it will soak up more resin that the other part and it is key that it is saturated with resin so it won't wick any water later on.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Make sure you use resin rather than paint. I went the paint route on a pair of box fold out seats and it lasted maybe 3 years.

CodyGrizz

Seaman

I used 3/8" pressed (little lighter than 1/2") with a few coats of resin then for an extra measure I sealed it. I know it was a bit overkill but its what I did. For stronger needs..1/2"MDF sealed and coated. I am redoing my Bayliner and in some parts they even used heavily resined 1/4", not sure if I would go THAT small but if its not load bearing..like maybe a devider..it would be fine. I didnt use Marine grade as once its resined in..doesnt seem to make that big a difference, plus easier to find normal stuff at Home Depot/Lowes/Menards