What type of trailer damage

Low dsrt jon

Petty Officer 3rd Class
:confused::confused:What type of trailer damage has anyone had when getting a flat tire doing the speed limit? EX. Speed Limit was 55 MPH. LDJ :eek::eek:

109jb

Lieutenant Commander
Re: What type of trailer damage

I have had bent fenders (steel) and broken fenders (plastic) and rim damage.

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Riped the fender off of one. Broke off lights. and destroyed a rim.

rexmitchell

Petty Officer 3rd Class

We had complete tire failure(nothing left on the rim) at 65mph, I guess we got lucky, nothing happened to us except having to replace the tire.

gstanton

Chief Petty Officer

I MAY have bent an axle... but I coulda done that on a curb also. The other thing to watch is ruining the wheel rim. The tire shop will (should) catch that.

Jeff-in-PA

Chief Petty Officer

I had a tire come apart at 65 mph. The tire was completely destroyed, nothing left except one bead wrapped around the axle, the rim was ruined and I had a small dent in the fender where the tire beat it senseless. A few hits with a hammer straightened it out just fine.

I broke loose the wheels from the rim, pulled my floor jack out of the suburban, jacked up the trailer and removed the rim. I used a pair of diagonal cutters ( wire cutters ) to cut the steel wire of the tire bead that was wrapped around the axle. I put on the spare, let it down, tightened the lugs and put my stuff away. All done in less than 15 minutes.

That was also the only flat flat tire ( so far :D ) that I've had towing in over 20,000 miles.

Jeff

JaseBosto

Petty Officer 1st Class

We had wheel bearing seals go, while on the highway. Grease was flying everywhere.... Luckily someone flagged us down, so nothing fun happened.....

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

I had a tread seperate from the carcass, and the tire never lost any air. But the tread bent the fender edge up against the tire, and I had to pound it out of the way to safely run my spare.

This taught me the folly of using a car tire on a trailer...!

Happy boating!

road.ripper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

last year before we left for a weeks holiday i thought everything was in top shape. i took my 12' aluminum up to my sisters cottage up north, a 300klm trip there,
at 9 o'clock at night about 200klm from home on a dark country road my wife said she sees something funny with the trailer tire in the mirror.
thank god she noticed !
i pulled over and had a flat, the tire beat the side of the boat a little the fender was toast and not much left of it, Also found a very bad bearing so i had to do a roadside bearing fix and a tire change till i got to the cottage .the next morning i went into town and found a hardware store open on a holiday sunday. my nephew has a well equipped tool room up there and i spent the afternoon doing a complete hub bearing and race replacement on both sides.
now i keep a complete spare hub and bearing set with my spare tire.

the worse part of this is my wife caught an awsome large mouth bass while i was fixing the trailer !

road

Moody Blue

Captain

Not a boat trailer but had a trailer tire blow out on a hardtop camper doing 60MPH. Trailer was brand new with only about 500 miles on it and 2nd trip out.

Blew apart the fender, two inside cupboards and smashed the fridge. Looked like a small bomb went off. Insurance covered the repair costs but the trailer was never "right" after that and I traded it in the next year.