What type of line to use to replumb fresh water system

Jamie 10017

Seaman
Im replumbing the fresh water system on my boat, hot and cold , im starting from scratch what is the best water line to use for this project? I want to use good stuff but I wanted to see what others have used, Im sure Im not the first to replumb there boat. Thanks and Merry Christmas and Happy new Year to all. Jamie :D

Lyle29464

Lieutenant
Re: What type of line to use to replumb fresh water system

I used PEX. cheap, durable, flexable,will hold any pressure, easy to work with and can take some cold weather

oops!

Supreme Mariner

pex is just fine....

a step up would be a braided water line......but remember...there is not a lot of pressure in the line....

make sure that you keep the line rub free.....rubber hangers work well

Jamie 10017

Seaman

Oops, when you speak of a braided line are you talking about something with a barbed fitting and hose clamps ?

JDA1975

Lieutenant

think hes talking about something like this

164-copy-copy_2074_detail.jpg

when searching for water hose, be sure to specify "potable" because the non potable stuff would make it taste really bad!

Jamie 10017

Seaman

I have been told to stay away from the barbed hose fittings and hose clamps thats why I was asking. I want to go the best and safest way . I have tried to read up and do some research on this and figured with all the experience on this site would be my best route.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Use PEX.... get a crimping tool and use brass fittings with copper crimp rings.... Much cheaper and also better than the plastic hand tightened fittings or the high dollar push on fittings tho they are a bit more work

I agree on staying away from the barbed fittings.... I've had quite a few leaks with them but never had a PEX leak.

I just re plumbed my buddy's 38'er last week.... I removed PVC, PEX, braided hose, garden hose, and clear vinyl hose. LOL, and replaced it all with 1/2" PEX... I would have used 3/8" but the owner wanted 1/2"

For the drains I used 1 1/4" PVC flexpipe but on most smaller boats that would not be needed and just flexible hose around 5/8"-3/4" does fine.

Also Jamie, you don't need to start a new thread for each component of the project IE pump, tubing, etc.... keep it all together and you'll get better info with less effort on our part to keep up with you.

You might consider PM'ing a mod to get your threads merged

littlebookworm

Chief Petty Officer

I've used PEX to replumb my entire house (hot and cold) after an under-the-slab hot water pipe burst. PEX is great to work with. There are only two negatives that I see: One, the crimping tool is about $75. Two, you need enough room around each fitting to get the tool in place and to close the crimping jaws properly. The second negative is really only the one I'd be concerned with. Clear space is a boat is sometimes very hard to find. A little trick to get the hose end on the fitting - a little liquid hand soap works wonders. Good luck. Hy

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

my crimping tool was $24 and requires much less space than the $75 version... My tool is not much bigger than a pair of pliers and requires a pair of vicegrips to actuate it.

It's a bit of a PITA to use but being able to put the vicegrips on at any angle is a big help in tight quarters

http://www.google.com/products/cata...397&ei=RR76TodM4buyB7C64dIB&ved=0CAgQ8gIwAA#p

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Pex. Just about all boats are plumbved with that now. Available in SAE and metric sizes. Available at HD, Lowes, Ace Hardware

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Use PEX.... get a crimping tool and use brass fittings with copper crimp rings.... Much cheaper and also better than the plastic hand tightened fittings or the high dollar push on fittings tho they are a bit more work
Not sure where the OP is boating but copper (crimp rings) are no-no in a saltwater enviroment. If you go that way you need to use stainless crimp rings.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Not sure where the OP is boating but copper (crimp rings) are no-no in a saltwater environment. If you go that way you need to use stainless crimp rings.

makes sense to me...