What type of Hull

dlp_90731

Cadet
I was hoping some one could help me out with my hull type. From what i been reading it's a Planing Hull. Is this in fact a true Planing Hull? Thanks ahead of time. Pictures attached.

Attachments

• CIMG9101.jpg
    CIMG9101.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 0
  • CIMG9097.jpg
    CIMG9097.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 0

dlp_90731

Cadet
Re: What type of Hull

Straight shaft with 16" x 16" prop and has a Velvet Drive trans.

dlp_90731

Cadet

It's tippy and when you get a few guys running around it really is.

GTS225

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Agreed.....planing hull. A displacement hull would be shallower, so as to spread the load out over a large area quicker. A shipping barge is an extreme example of a displacement hull. A flat-bottom is also a displacement hull, even thought there is a shallow V shape forming at the transom.

Roger

dlp_90731

Cadet

1973 Livesay made in Southern California. Some were used as Port Police boats.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

You have the best hull for a smooth ride at higher speeds in higher seas. It will cut through the waves rather than bounce you across the top of them. Only problem with them is, as said not as stable as a flat bottom at rest with a lot of weight moving about, deep V at transom does not have the lift that a flat hull has so it takes more power to get on plane and hold....lifting tabs you have on the transom counteract some of that, and heavier usually that flat bottom, but that's not all bad....with added weight and a deep v you have 2 things going for you and a comfortable ride.

One thing about displacement hulls is that they are usually limited to speeds below planing speeds (15 mph roughly) and the water never leaves the transom, like it does on a planing hull as you are getting to planing speed where it starts moving away and at speed forms a V somewhere behind the boat, faster you go farther out it is.

Great choice.

Mark

Ned L

Commander

I think the proper term you are looking for is 'semi-dispacement'. As has been alluded to, a displacement hull is limited to hull speed (1.34 x sq. root of waterline length) as it cannot climb over its own bow wave. A semi-displacement hull can climb up over its bow wave and 'plane' along displacing less than its full mass. A true planing hull is something like a three point hydroplane that actually skims along on top of the water, not really displacing much water at all.
Your boat is a deep V semi-displacement. Yes, they can be rather tender when sitting in the water, but more comfortable at higher speeds in a chop.