What trim pump do I have? Pics included.

ck85abc3

Petty Officer 2nd Class
85 HP force on a 84 bayliner. I'm not exactly sure what your the motor is, but it is either a 83,84, or 85.

Is this one I can rebuild myself or one of those that the average person can't rebuild?

0427081459c.jpg

0427081459b.jpg

KnottyBuoyz

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: What trim pump do I have? Pics included.

Looks just like an old style Volvo Penta I had. No user serviceable parts I was told. Bit the bullet and bought a new kit. They're not that expensive unless you do what I did and bought a new one from Volvo Penta. I think there are aftermarket versions available. If the motor's alright you can probably swap out the pump only.

GS51

Recruit

I think i can help you with that
It looks like the one on my boat but 1 question. Is their 2 tubes comming out of the bottom or 4. from the pics it looks like a Force their are 2 hyd cylinders one for the trim ( the larger dia ) and one for the lift.
From what I can see on the pics this is the case. bad news no replacment or rebuild kit avaiable. The one on my force 125 started to leak down so bad 2 years ago that it could not get my boat out of the water with out draging the motor. I checked with the local dealers about reapir they said good luck and to let them know if found a fix as they were clueless. Because their are 4 tubes connected the standard Merc. pumps don't work. I did manage to come up with a fix that has worked for 2 years with out a problem. It will work as long as the cyinders seals don't leak.
Good Luck

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

I have a 1988 125 HP Force motor that had tilt trim problems. My trim/tilt has four hydraulic lines going to it. I found this link that shows the parts break down of the trim and tilt cylinders. http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury_parts/1258/190.cfm "O" rings are available. Both cylinders come apart, so you can replace them. What it does not show is the break down of the valve assy mounted on the bottom of the T/T motor held on by four screws. This valve has some plungers in it that also has some small "O" ring seals too. My unit has two aluminum plugs held in with circlips that covered the two ports with the plungers. I've seen some units that had screw in pipe plugs that covered the ports. I removed the valve assy. with the four screws that held it to the T/T motor. Removed the circlips and pulled the plungers out. Took the old "O" rings and plungers down to a local shop that repaired hydraulic cylinders for construction equipment and had them match up the old "O" rings with new ones. After replacing the "O" rings in the T/T cylinders and valve assy., it works like a champ now. Word of caution. The valve assy. on the bottom of the trim motor has 4 or 5 bolts that hold it together. Usually you don't have to take these out. No "O" rings inside this part of the valve assy. There are several steel balls that are sitting in some fluid passages. When you take the bolts out and take it apart, the balls fall out. Very frustrating to figure out where they go.

ck85abc3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys,

Right now I only see my boats on weekends. So I can't look at the pump and cylinder until this weekend.

I was under the impression that it was the pump motor that leaks down on these things?

No it sounds like it is the tilt cylinder and trim cylinder that leaks down?

I don't mind spending the $300 to make it work. I just want it to work and not leak down. However, if I can fix it myself for $20, that would be great.

Sweet, I think I found mine.

"http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury_parts/1524/14.cfm"

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

From what I understand, the "O" ring seals in the valve body attached to the bottom of the trim/tilt motor is the most common failure.

It's no different than any other hydraulic system. All of the seals have to be good in order for it to work properly. I replaced all of mine and have not had any problems since. It was a bit frustrating at first, but like anything new, once you understand what is going on it is much easier. Plus you get the satisfaction of having done it youself for much cheaper. $20.00 verses hundreds of dollars. You also get a better understanding of how the system works so if a problem comes up, you have a better chance of fixing it.