what to use to line ski locker

ScottinAZ

Senior Chief Petty Officer
"New" to me boat has carpet inside the ski locker with about 1/4 foam padding. This is unacceptable for a number of reasons, namely IT TRAPS WATER.... Thankfully I have "non-wooden" stringers, but still. I dont need to be trapping water next to the hull...

what is the general consensus for an "acceptable" material to provide some cushioning to the fiberglass hull in that area. I was thinking along the lines of non-slip floor mat (something "restaurant quality" that wont hold moisture, is easy to clean and above all is made to be pressure wash cleaned), with about a 3-4" gap at the bottom to keep the limber holes clear, and allow for drainage.

briangcc

Commander
Mine's bare from the factory. I only store oars, spare bumpers, and a fishing net most of the time in there so I really don't have a need for anything else.

From time to time the kids kickboards (foam) may be in there but again, nothing that's going to cause any kind of damage.

My anchors, yes plural, are in kitty litter pails stored in the storage compartments under my windshield.

ScottinAZ

when I cleaned it out, I had an anchor and about 10 fenders in the locker. Nothing aside from the anchor that I would consider harmful, but I figured asking isnt gonna hurt anyone either.

stresspoint

Ensign
as posted , just the gelcoat is good , i did paint mine with epoxy just to make it kook tidy on the bow rider .
was going to line it with some foam to stop things thumping , but everyone said bow riders get water over the nose , i never had , also don't get any thumping even with all the crap in there.

ScottinAZ

as posted , just the gelcoat is good , i did paint mine with epoxy just to make it kook tidy on the bow rider .
was going to line it with some foam to stop things thumping , but everyone said bow riders get water over the nose , i never had , also don't get any thumping even with all the crap in there.
I have some epoxy left over from when I did my shop floor. I may clean good and lay a coat of that in the locker to make sure its sealed up tight... and to make it look better....we shall see...

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
How about plastic milk crates. If you can find some that fit tight, they drain and will protect the sides and bottom of the ski well and are mostly indestructible. They can hold spare props, anchors, oil etc.

Alternatively, the old cheap indoor/outdoor carpet is a synthetic felt like material, without any rubber backing. It does not absorb water and can be applied with any latex or oil indoor/outdoor carpet adhesive.

briangcc

Commander
Can just lay that carpet loose and pull it out when it gets filthy. My FourWinns was that way. Still have the carpet somewhere...didn't go with the boat when I traded it in.

ScottinAZ

Can just lay that carpet loose and pull it out when it gets filthy. My FourWinns was that way. Still have the carpet somewhere...didn't go with the boat when I traded it in.

the bottom carpet was loose, and not glued in, but was NASTY and had obviously NEVER been out of the boat. I am thinking ease of maintenance, because we all know NOBODY is gonna pull the junk out of the locker on a regular basis anyway.... (just bein honest....)

something that doesnt hold water and is easy to clean was the goal here.

I will say the carpet LOOKS GOOD, but man, that chunk musta weighed 50 pounds when I pulled it out

cyclops222

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This is a toughy to do.
A soft material will probably soak up water from the wet skis. That said. Most soft materials will get damaged by a pressure washer if used incorrectly.
I would make up a CLOSED CELL FOAM box that can slide in and out easily for a power washing of the glass hull surfaces. That will protect the ski finish well.

The box can be CLOSED CELL FOAM about 2 or 3" thick from H D or Lowes. 4 to 6" wide with a space between all the flat bottom and side pieces. They can be held in alignment with very small strips of ALL PLASTIC deck board cut to size to the box shape.
Think, measure, draw on paper. BEFORE Buying anything. This foam grid work will let water evaporate quickly with no mold forming.
It WILL NOT SUPPORT someone stepping on the foam strips. My small Lowe Aluminum boat has had this box in the bow since1990.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Anything you glue to the ski well wall will allow moisture between the lining material and the FG. It cannot practically be kept out using glue, caulk etc. Mold can develop in that moisture.

If you want a solid material on the ski well sides and bottom, it must not absorb moisture and allow air to permeate it to allow it to dry. I would also apply the mastic used to attach the material in vertical rows to allow water to drain.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
When I had an early boat with a ski locker, I had glued in carpet that was changed to glued in urethane sheet. SeaRay had a light grey/off white rubber grid-like mat like you would find in a shower

EVA (like seadeck) would probably work well.

line-x works well too

ScottinAZ

Anything you glue to the ski well wall will allow moisture between the lining material and the FG. It cannot practically be kept out using glue, caulk etc. Mold can develop in that moisture.

If you want a solid material on the ski well sides and bottom, it must not absorb moisture and allow air to permeate it to allow it to dry. I would also apply the mastic used to attach the material in vertical rows to allow water to drain.

nothing really needs "glued" into the locker as far as I am concerned.... Its a hell of a lot easier to be able to remove it for cleaning if/when needed. I would prefer a little something in between the fiberglass hull and the anchor and spare prop which is likely to live in there. The product that Scott06 showed from WorstMarine is pretty damn close to what I was thinking in the first place, and is likely what I will go with.

as for Danforth's (too damn many Scott's in here :D ) idea with the EVA foam, That would also work, and since when I eventually redo the deck will likely use that product, its an option as well...

My original thoughts were along the lines of an "industrial" non slip foot mat. They usually have holes, and being in a "bad" environment usually dont trap water, and get pressure washed with regularity and last years.... since the locker doesnt get a lot of foot traffic, it would be for padding only. Biggest issue is, they come in ginormous size and cutting down is a bit of a pain. The grid tiles that Scott06 showed would work great, and I think be easier to install being snap together modular construction.

cyclops222

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Very similar to what was in my 2002 Chaparral 186 never had mold on any of the fenders in there.. Good stuff