what to expect with a tune up

LnCoyote

Cadet
2010 200hp Mercury Optimax

I took my boat (engine) in for a tuneup...what can I expect to recieve and what is a fair price generally? I live in GA. I expect to talk with the mechanic later today, but want to be prepared when we discuss what should be done and for how much. I have had the boat/engine for 4 years new (bought it new) and this will be my first tuneup.

Also, I originally took the boat in because I recieved a continuous engine alarm when I was on the lake on Sunday. After shutting the engine off I restarted it a short time later and noticed I had no "pee-er". I used the trolling motor to limp back to the boat ramp. I am assuming the intake for the cool down system is clogged or water pump is shot. Does this sound like a logical assumption?

One more question. I was wondering if beaching the boat would have anything to do with water intake??? Is it possible my cooling system would be clogged with sand and silt?? If so Is there anything I can do (other than not beaching it) to resolve this?
I have run the engine since I beached it at least once without incident. Thanks!

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Yes beaching and retrieving can get sand into your water pump. Would take a lot to clog things up to the point where it quit working. Second question is how did you get it in there since the water pickups are above the lower unit gear housing and in front of the prop. Backing up and stirring up the bottom I guess is how you would do it. Course enough of it could wear out the impeller. You didn't say the year model of your engine or operating hours. The horn and no pee were apparent signs of water pump failure for whatever reason. The horn was the engine over heat alarm. You were smart in shutting it down when you realized the failure.

On a tuneup, I don't know. Used to be a tune up was primarily points and plugs. Maybe a dose of Casite CD2 or MMO down the throat of the carburetor burning out some carbon on the piston tops and the sort. Today with surface gap plugs and electronic ignition plus fuel injection, don't know what to tune up. Steelspike or Faztbullet would and probably will kick in here.

Mark

Last edited:

Mi duckdown

Commander
After 4 years it is time for a new impeller for sure. Nothing really to much to tune up that motor.

LnCoyote

Cadet
The intake was clogged with sand....dang I knew it. Ya see mommy and baby like to be on the beach...I dont really care...but they like to be on the beach.
I must have had my trim down a little to far when beaching and sucked up some sand. I guess the only solution is to be a bit more congnisent of where my prop and lower unit is when Im beaching the boat. I suppose I could anchor a little off shore and wade to the beach, but some of the wake from boats come in pretty high and heavy.

It seems I could have flushed the system myself.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
The water separator should be changed. The air compressor air filter should be changed. You might look up the maintenance requirements in your owners manual or on the web.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
I suppose I could anchor a little off shore and wade to the beach, but some of the wake from boats come in pretty high and heavy.

I was real picky about what my boats looked like over the years and never beached them due to the sandpaper effect on the gelcoat. I always anchored off shore with two anchors to keep the bow facing out ready to accept both those and wind blown waves. Had no problem with the inconvenience of wading in and out.

Mark

LnCoyote

Cadet
Great point Mark. I am noticing the "sandpaper effect" on the keel and am none to pleased. I have seen other peeps anchor and tie the stern to a tree on shore or like you suggested use two anchors. I do believe I will go with your suggestion.

Hey I am doing a little research on flushing my engine. It appears I need an attachment to use the "coastal flush port on my optimax. I figure if I could learn how to use this I could flush it when and if I need to. Any suggestions on where to find this attachment, how to plug it in and use it???