What to do with this boat?

jdlough

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: What to do with this boat?

Yo Bubba,

Your wife doubts your vision? UFB!!!!

Well that right there challenges your manly wisdom. Are you gonna take that? I say NO! Heck and Dang NO! And Poopy!!! No-One challenges the manly wisdom! I mean, it's MANLY and all, right?

Fix that boat right up in an obvious manly manner! Use Hammers! After it's fixed, take your wife out on it, and when she says, "You were right, dear, this boat is some nice piece of awesome manlyness" or something, you just say, "Yep".

Don't let her know about iBoats.com forums.

That should do it.

Jim

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I definitely think you should add a windshield of some sort. I think it looks a little awkward without one.

MikDee

Banned

Cool Boat! :cool: But, you'll need to get dressed up as Austin Powers to drive it :D Just think of all the Chicks that will swoon over you! :D:D:D

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer

I hate to be the lone dissenter here. I don't like the lines of the top. It looks too squared and almost as though it was grafted on afterward. There are lots of hulls around with really great lines from that era. Pull the motor and drive and drop into something really cool.

BTW, this is a home-built Glen-L design

Attachments

• bill boat.jpg
    bill boat.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 0

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Man, to each his own, but to me that is the ugliest boat I have ever seen! Ohhhh..... the 70's were a bad time in America!

Bubba, unless you are a closet Elvis impersonator, you'd need to redo the whole thing! Or, just add a shag carpet and go with it.

Good luck! i'd love to see this one after a restore.

Nico2112

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bubba, I guess it all comes down to personal preference. Even if your wife doesn't like, if you like it enough to make it yours, I think you can make it look and function just right.

It's not my cup of tea, but my boats preference is not what it's in stake here; it's all about you:)

I have one honest question that you should answer to yourself:

Do YOU like the boat?

If your answer is YES, then just go for it mate:D

As others have stated, a modern seating pattern and upholstery should do that boat a lot of good!

Cheers!

mike64

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have one honest question that you should answer to yourself:

Do YOU like the boat?

If your answer is YES, then just go for it mate:D

Nico's got it.

Money seems to be an issue with you, and believe me I can sympathize with that, but it's going to cost you money no matter what boat you decide to put that engine in. So the real question is ^, what Nico said.

New boats to me all look like molded plastic bathtub toys. With a paintjob, windows, and some cosmetics, you could have a boat with some real character :cool:

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

the steering wheel is on the wrong side of the boat!!!!

looks like ti would make a good duck hunting boat!!

bob

Nico2112

Petty Officer 1st Class

...With a paintjob, windows, and some cosmetics, you could have a boat with some real character :cool:
Exactly what I think too Mike.

I remember when I bought my 10' runabout, it was really ugly and neglected, but there was something about that boat that just caught my eye. With minor pimping (built a bimini top, installed benches, rod holders, controls and steering wheel) that sucker came to life:)

You never know until you drop on it some TLC:D

Nico2112

Petty Officer 1st Class

And there is the rub, one second I think its fugly, the next I think yeah but if I just....
Fair enough.

Well, if say, in a week, you still can't decide, it's because you're not sure, and it's not adviceable to work on something you're not sure (at least I've learned that the hard way)

You said you got it for free, right?
Why don't you just donate it, or give it to someone that would like to have it?

Take your time, and think about it, there's no rush:)

In the meantime, slap a cover to it:D

Cheers!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

If you don't restore that boat you are out of your freakin' mind. It's kind of like an SK with a cuddy. Heads, manifold, and a Jimmy 6-71 on that 454 with two quads or even fuel injection? What can I say?

Don't like the color? God invented Imron. And I know a whole bunch of Mexicans that do great upholstery work. I know--I know-- stereotypes, but irresistable.

Yeah, you will put cubic money into it, but it will be over a period of time. AND you will have a unique ride. Wife is going to be jealous because it will be a "Chick magnet."

DRIFTER_016

Petty Officer 1st Class

Cool Boat! :cool: But, you'll need to get dressed up as Austin Powers to drive it Just think of all the Chicks that will swoon over you!

Chick magnet? I gotta believe that was exactly what the designer had in mind. Someone mentioned Austin Powers and now I can't get the image out of my head. :eek:

YEAH BABY!!!!!! IT'S SHAGADELIC!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D

YN2(SS)

Petty Officer 2nd Class

New vinyl seats but have them made exactly the same! 70's Vegas lounge style. That's part of the appeal.

Span 24

Seaman Apprentice

Don't forget the FUN FUR!!! :D I think yellow would be nice!!

Michael

Rickairmedic

Commander

SK??? Curious, what colors/graphics would you see working with the boats lines. While I want to give it a face lift, I still want to say "70s" but with class.

Chick magnet? I gotta believe that was exactly what the designer had in mind. Someone mentioned Austin Powers and now I can't get the image out of my head. :eek:

Bubba I could see this boat in black or white base coat with some neon graphix on it if you want to keep the 70's vibe to the boat.

Rick

Willyclay

Captain

Let me get this straight in my mind. It was FREE, there is ZERO FG work to be done, NO rotten wood to be replaced, it has a running engine, the jet-drive has been rebuilt, it has a trailer, you have a place to work on it, it is somewhat unique, you really like it BUT the interior needs to be redone! This is so totally the opposite of any boat I have ever acquired that I cannot comment any further. PM me the size of the trailer hitch ball and I will come remove from your property asap.

schiprec

Cadet

That looks like a sleekcraft daycrusier. They used to run in the mid 50mph range

Span 24

Seaman Apprentice

DUDE!!! You owe me a keyboard, I spit coffee in this one when I read your post.

Tell ya what, I got a complete computer here I'll swap ya for that fine ride!!

It really is a nice find I think! I was doing a little research on the SlickCraft brand and found that they do have (not surprisingly) a very interesting history. Started by one Leon Slicker, sold to AMF, much more. Check it out. Really cool!

Hang onto it her, and with a little creativity and elbow grease, you will have something to be proud of!

I only hope that you are old enough to appreciate these comical 70's references! :D

Michael

lucky7

Petty Officer 1st Class

sound as a dollar...ha ha aha
seriously, if its not your cupa, part it out and buy somthing you like. sometimes diffrent is just diffrent.

blktout67

Seaman Apprentice

hey bubba i just wanted to throw my 2 cents worth in last weekend i was out at Folsom lake ca and there was a guy out there with a boat real close to that one you are boggling your mind over he had done some work on it and he had a lot of lookers when he pulled up to the dock a lot of people was asking him where he got it those boats look very nice in the water and i think a lot of people still like that style of boat i say stop boggling and do it so we can see another classic reborn