what to do /look for on a test drive?

JoChek219

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm not sure if this is the right forum or not, but give it a try, I'm looking at buying a 94 Glastron cuddy cabin with a 4.3L V-6. This is a beautiful boat , original owner and low hours.... I know you make sure the steering and guages work , F and R , and the trim system works properly, and the blower, and bilge.... just wondering what else I should look for or do, or poke around?

Thanks for all and any advice

Dakota47

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: what to do /look for on a test drive?

Make sure you run the boat for an hour or so on the lake checking the gauges for low oil pressure & high water temps. make sure she gets up on plane easy too. turn the boat on & off a couple time while your out there, check the oil before , during, and after the test ride.. check the fan belt, hoses, fuel water seperator, ask about all maintance records.. and ask too see them.. i keep all paper work on my boats.. so do most..

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Make sure the engine gets to WOT specs. If it doesn't, find out why BEFORE you sign on the dotted line.

JoChek219

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok thanks alot for these tips I"ll keep them in mind, also was wondering what people thought about the glastron boats... From what I 've seen and heard here and there that they are sharp boats... this is 19'9'' boat I'm looking at

JoChek219

Petty Officer 2nd Class

what should WOT be on the v-6

Don S

Hard to say not knowing anything about it other than V6.
Carbed, EFI (MPI or TBI) Merc, Volvo ??????????

JoChek219

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sorry, its a 180HP 4.3L V-6 believe its 2bbl and with a Merc. drive... being a 94 this is an Alpha 1 Gen 2?

Don S

4400-4800 rpm

JoChek219

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok, thanks alot Don and everybody who chimed in, wish me luck hopefully I"ll bring her home this weekend

Cuyose

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If you have an IR temp gun, it would be good to take that along too and shoot the manifolds for temp to make sure both are flowing freely.

Cheetah 20

Cadet

I sure wish , I would have been smart enough to get all the info you got.I didn't get any advise .And you will probably be out sooner than me.I bought my boat last Sept..But I have learned a valuable lesson.Good luck and enjoy!