What to do....(engine/outdrive compatibility)

mrdopes

Seaman
So...... I picked up a boat that was kept in a slip for a screaming deal knowing that the engine was likely shot. It's running a Mercruiser 228. Pull it out the water and I see that it's mated to a Volvo Penta SX Cobra (transom shield, trim motor, Y pipe, etc... all VP). The block and all components are Mercruiser and the original (to the boat) engine.

The engine had water sitting in it for some long period of time, but was running well enough that the PO was still fishing with it-

I flushed the block out/filled with clean oil 2X and ran compression, which was 120, 0, 80, 100, 100, 80, 120, 60. it's got so much rust and build in the block/heads that I don't even want to mess with it.

Question is: what would be the path of least resistance (time/money wise) to replace the engine- I see a couple of options

1) I have a perfectly good and working 2003 merc 5.0/Alpha 1 combo in my work-shop, but would I be able to mate that year engine to the SX drive, or would I need to also swap the SX out and install the Alpha 1 (and everything else) as well?

2) long block 305 of the same vintage engine that is in there so i know it all goes back together with the SX drive

Thoughts?

Bondo

Staff member
and I see that it's mated to a Volvo Penta SX Cobra (transom shield, trim motor, Y pipe, etc... all VP). The block and all components are Mercruiser and the original (to the boat) engine.

Ayuh,....... So yer sayin' someone added the Volvo drive to a Merc powered boat,..??

I like yer option #1, as then you won't have such a frankenboat then,......

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
pull everything in the boat and install your 5.0/alpha

however if the boat had a 288 in it originally, the transom and stringers are rotten. especially if there was enough water in the boat to rust up the engine.

you bought yourself a project that you will need to sink $4-5K into

mrdopes

Seaman
pull everything in the boat and install your 5.0/alpha

however if the boat had a 288 in it originally, the transom and stringers are rotten. especially if there was enough water in the boat to rust up the engine.

you bought yourself a project that you will need to sink $4-5K into

yessir, for some strange reason I must enjoy working on boats more than using them. I've already got 3 others I'm rebuilding. I did core samples and only one stringer is bad. Pulled the Volvo transom shield off and the transom is solid still. Got lucky there. Water got into the block via the exhaust system.

Bondo

Staff member
yessir, for some strange reason I must enjoy working on boats more than using them. I've already got 3 others I'm rebuilding. I did core samples and only one stringer is bad. Pulled the Volvo transom shield off and the transom is solid still. Got lucky there. Water got into the block via the exhaust system.
Ayuh,...... I too, have that affliction,.....