What size outboard will I need? 13'8 Fiberglass

boatdude1020

Cadet
Recently picked up a 13'8 fiberglass SeaSprint runabout. It came with a 50 hp Johnson which I am quite sure needs to be replaced. I want a newer motor anyway. I have found a couple motors locally for sale which are 25 hp and recently serviced. My question is this: Will this be "enough" motor? I don't need to be going all that fast, I just want to make sure it will plane up and be a good time. Thanks!

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: What size outboard will I need? 13'8 Fiberglass

Welcome to the forums,

You can push well with a 25 HP, but probably too poor to plane and move bigger loads and/or more passengers than yourself. Go for at least a 30 HP if wanting better performance than any 25. If not go for the 25.

Happy Boating

bullcity101

Seaman

I have a 15'1" fiberglass skiff from 1970, probably has some waterlogged wood and weighs a bit more than it did back in its glory days. It had a 50hp johnson that was acting up. It planed easy. I traded for a 30hp that was ten years older cause I felt as though I didn't want the transom to be comprismised. Anyway, I am fairly happy with the 30hp. It planes my wife and I, 20mphish. I had 4 people on it and I just plowed at 15mph. But hey, are you trying to run all around the lake and have the wind go through your hair or are you trying to get out on the water and have a beer and catch a fish.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Welcome to ibaots dude!

Newer isn't always better and the Johnson/Evinrude 50 is one of the better engines ever made, I run an '81 50 and would never get rid of it, simple a stone and built like one too so don't get new just for the sake of getting new unless the engine is truley fried.

Also going from a 50 to a 25 is the wrong direction in my opinion a 25 on a 14' glass boat will move but it is gonna be on the slow side.

I run mine on a heavy 16' aluminum v and get 27-30 gps, my same bopat with a 25 would maybe do 15-20 tops.

Just saying, for a $100 and a couple hours you could have a sweet running 50 that will serve you well for years to come.

boatdude1020

Cadet

Thanks for the responses! It's looking like a close call to me. I WOULD like to cruise around with 4 people at times, but yes, I am basically just looking to drink a beer and catch some fish. The johnson 50 is from the 1960's. The guy that sold me the boat claimed it ran when he put it away ten years ago. For the price I paid for the boat and the condition it's in, I really didn't care if the motor ran at all or not. Gonna have some thinking to do here, more opinions/input/experience appreciated...

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Sell the 50 and buy a used Tohatsu, Mariner, Nissan 30 HP, 2 strokes if available, or same 25 HP and convert to 30 for peanuts.

Happy Boating

bullcity101

Seaman

Why not just see what the engine you have now is like. Pull the carb, clean it. See the compression, see if it has spark. If it has compression and spark, I say keep it. Unless its lower unit is toast or something of the nature. If the previous owner is honest. It could just need a new impeller and carb cleaning and it'll run like a top. Never know.

boatdude1020

Cadet

Again, thanks for the responses, but I'm still up in the air. Want to use this thing on Lake Erie, so the motor has to be 100% reliable. I already take my 12 footer out there (on calm days). Better yet, I have a 2000 9.9 that I believe is worth a pretty penny, think I will sell that and buy a larger one, like Sea Rider mentioned.... Speaking of Tohatsu, any opinions? I don't see too many of them. Pulled a plug on the 50, grounded it, and pull-started... but no spark. Maybe it needs to be connected to a battery? I know, wrong forum. Please, keep advice coming!

CoffeeHound

Petty Officer 1st Class

i have run 50's and 55's for 40 year and say "hail to the designer". it has a starter so pretty sure it will fire when you hook up a battery and fuel . Dont forget the muffs and water !
All 3 of the 50's i bought last year were running within 2 hours from the time i put them on the battery/fuel and muffs after being in storage for about 5-8 years . Wishing you my luck with engines, and hope you think seriously before you let your 50 go to the birds without even trying to run it.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Is that 50 a V4? Just what kind of boat is this? How wide is it? Early 70s 40hp Johnson would also work and use the same shift/throttle.

bgc

Ensign

A 12' and a 13'8" on Lake Erie!!:eek:..... I did this once in my Starcraft, Mercury 500 never got over 1/4 throttle , IT WAS A RIOT!

Godspeed to you.

boatdude1020

Cadet

A 12' and a 13'8" on Lake Erie!!:eek:..... I did this once in my Starcraft, Mercury 500 never got over 1/4 throttle , IT WAS A RIOT!

Godspeed to you.

Haha Yes, on a calm day I have taken the 12-footer from Rocky River to Cleveland. About 7 miles. If you're lucky, that lake can be like a swimming pool, but it's rare.

bonz_d, it's a seasprint 13'8, unsure of the width, I am seeking info on this thing. The motor is a 2-cyl, 2 stroke. If anyone knows anything about the boat, I would love to hear from them. It's a runabout, the guy who sold it to me said it was a 1969. And again, Thanks so much for all the responses!abc.jpg