what safety things do i need in my boat?

matt9923

Chief Petty Officer
I have the life jackets but what else do I need. fire Extinguisher, flare gun, mirror? What is required. (i only go on rivers.)
My jet skies i only had extinguisher and whistle.
Matt

OldePharte

Chief Petty Officer
Re: what safety things do i need in my boat?

Check your state requirements and possibly Coast Guard for requirements.

I'd add a throwable cushion or two, a mirror wouldn't be bad, FE for sure (sized for your boat), I'd skip the flare gun, an alternate method of bailing out (a bucket or old sauce pan), perhaps an oar or two (depending upon boat), and a boat hook.

You didn't say what rivers. If you are talking about the Ohio or Mississippi, versus a smaller slower river, you may also want river charts and become familiar with the various navigation markers.

matt9923

Chief Petty Officer

Wow 3rd time i typed this my PC is acting up. That was a good read TD
I will mainly b eon the Rainbow reservoir its slow moving and i have swam across it without much problem. I usually have a life jacket in case i smash my head and sink to teh bottom. Maybe ill try the CT river after i get to know the boat and motor.

matt9923

Chief Petty Officer

Na those are over rated!

I did a while back i know everything but forgot what was required on board a boat. When i took it all i had was jet skies. All i really need on a 14ft is a life jacket according to the CG. But i will get a safety kit and fire extinguisher.

what do u need to get a boat registered i have teh bill of sale but what numbers do i need to get the numbers and sticker.
Vin, year, length, brand, model ext. Im not registering teh trailer yet i have my own launch.
Matt

AbbeysDad

Recruit

Gee Matt. yer kinda wrong.
You need:
1) a PFD available for everyone on the boat - children under 12 must wear theirs at all times unless below in a cabin.
2) A coast guard approved fire extinguisher.
3) a First aid kit.
4) flares.
5) distress flag.
6) thowable floating device.
6) paddle and/or hook.
7) cell phone or VHF radio.
8) Boating safety certificate - no, they are NOT over rated... they're really not.

javedjee78

Banned

Great price. It's nice that you can do it and that "Streets" lets you.

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

I took the Coast Guard Aux Safety class. Learned some helpful stuff And my insurance co - State Farm gives me 10% off me premiums every year.. Ads up after 20 yrs... Its a free class I think i had to buy a book for $18 but was good over all. Thats coming from a guy who spent 6 yrs in the NAVY 4 of thoese on a Destroyer