What prop??

racohoon

Cadet
I have 18ft fiberglass tri-hull w/ 125 evinrude. <br />I looked all over prop for #'s to ID it, but there are none. I measure 6.5 in. from center of hub to top of blade, so I know it is @ least a 13 in. prop. It would appear as though this is the largest diameter prop I can use, but what pitch would be best for this set-up. I don't have power trim,ans am not towing a skier or tube. I was considering a 13x19 or 13x21. I am fishing out of vessel on smaller lakes(approx.1000 acres) and plan on taking it to the big lake (Mich.) later this summer.<br /> What are the advantages of a stainless prop over the aluminum? <br /> Also,while looking @ props on various sites I see my 1972 125 Evinrude refered to as either an "E" or "R" Engine. How do I know which I have!

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander
Re: What prop??

racohoon, you may have to remove the prop to identify it. I've seen part numbers stamped into the hub on some models. When you look for a prop also notice your hub design and hub diameter.<br /><br />Props come in more materials. Aluminum, stainless, plastic, compounds etc. and ofcourse in various designs (blade area and shape, blade cupping, special uses) and number of blades. To help in choosing a prop you must decide on price, how you expect to use it (boat take off weight), if hitting anything under water is likely to happen (even sand banks) and also motor mount hight on transom.<br /><br />Stainless in most cases perform better but also cost more. They are so strong, that hitting obstickles under water normally won't hurt them - instead this stress hits the gear, shaft etc.<br /><br />Composite props are designed to make the best of all. Claim to perform better than aluminum and some of those use replaceable blades. Very often made in a way to use common parts for different props to keep production costs low.<br /><br />Aluminum is the standard thing. They too come in many types and offer good value. There is a very large number of props to choose from.<br /><br />In detecting your needs, a tachometer is important. The prop pitch should be the compromise, where you get WOT within the specified rpm range, fair accelleration and the highest possible top/cruise speed. If this mix cannot be acchieved, WOT rpm over the specified range will be OK - as long as you draw back on throttle to stay below the range maximum once up and planing.

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Any of you guys ever used one of those 2 stage props? and if so, what was your milage?? (ie did you like it.)<br /><br />For those not familiar, they are props that use centrifical motion to change prop pitch, the idea being you get full speed at WOT and better holeshot because the prop changes pitch to suit the conditions.<br /><br />rgds<br /><br />Frank

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

Frank!<br /><br />I looked at them once but Merc have them for the large dia gearhousing hub only (and my 115 is the biggest with small hub).<br /><br />I know from a friend that he gained in accelleration but was annoyed by the thing not working after a few weeks docking (obviously has to be used regularly to keep parts moving freely).<br /><br />Also, they cost a lot :(