What prop is this????

blacksmith04

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok so I want to get a new prop for my 68 merc 500. Only problem is can't find one anywhere. The beat to hell spare that was in the boat has a part number 48-32482-13 and is a 2blade. The one thats on the motor has the number on the hub of 1761-13. Again it is a 2 blade. Spent 2+ hours online looking for one and no dice. Also would there be a differnce going to 3 blades?

Lyle29464

Lieutenant
Re: What prop is this????

The 2 blade was used more on light john type boats
The 3 blade was used more on runabouts.

Did you try used outboard sites and ebay, craigslist etc.

blacksmith04

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Can a hub be replaced? I realy cant find to many places that have props for this old motor. I will have to call around Monday.

Lyle29464

Lieutenant

Any prop shop can rebuild the prop. BUT can he find the hub? Call around.

blacksmith04

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Both of mine have good hubs. So if I took the to a prop shop could they reused the hubs in a new prop? I realy want to get a three bladed prop for this thing.

blacksmith04

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Or is it posable to just replace the prop shaft to the 13 splin on this merc 500?

blacksmith04

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think I just found an answer to my problem. Let me know if they are worse then my merc. I just found a mid 70's Johnson 55 with all the controlls that was pulled for a repower for $200. I'll run the merc till it poops out then mount the johnson. then sell the mercs parts to recoop the cost.

blacksmith04

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Man! I am sooooo soooo glad Iboats is here so I can type this over with myself.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I would say Sunday evening isn't the best time to find folks on the forum.Work day tomorrow some are surely settling in after a weekend of Bball,boating etc.
As far as a motor swap You best check prop availability for the 55.Also do a routine parts check.Mid 70s would be a 3 cylinder.I really like my 65 Merc 500 but they do have issues Multi carbs and fuel pumps. Specealty tools, difficult to find parts.
Typically 2 blade props are ideal for best top speed.they are a little weak for heavy loads.
A modern 3 blade will have better overall performance possibly matching the 2 blade speed.
A prop shop could tell you if they can swap hubs .Have you checked ebay.
You might pose your problem at Johns Old Mercury web site.

blacksmith04

Petty Officer 2nd Class

New hubs are a no-go. They can't fit the hub that I have to a new prop. My old one can be fixed unless I really break it.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Great site.I put it in my favorites. I have 2 perfectly good props but I may want to fiddle.

blacksmith04

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It only took me 6+ hours to to find it. lol. Made me feel better about keeping the motor.