What prop are you 3.0L Merc. guys using?

imported_Captain Morgan

Seaman Apprentice
Please don't bump me because I'm asking a prop question here. I want to hear from the people running a 3.0L Mercruiser I/O on a smaller boat like mine(17') to find out what type of prop they are using and what they like or dislike about it. I'm running a 13.75" prop with 21 pitch. It has just okay power out of the hole and a top speed of 39mph at 3900rmp wot when it's trimmed just right on flat water. My props a bit bent and I'd like to replace it. I'm considering a 19 pitch for better hole shot. So what is everyone else running?

ron7000

Banned
Re: What prop are you 3.0L Merc. guys using?

Bayliner 2002 19' with 3L, I mostly run the original prop, 21" pitch. Not sure exact diameter. Mine tops out at about 5000 rpm at ~45mph, I've done some carb work which has helped immensly. What year motor do you have? With 3900 rpm, 39mph, on a 17' boat it sounds like the motor may need a tune up or some work, the power isn't there. Or you're boat's a lot heavier than mine.
I've have an old heavy quicksilver 13.5" diamter I think x 21 pitch stainless which performs ok, and have a stiletto 14.25x20 4-blade from another boat that's ok as well, but I've had the best all around performance from the original aluminum 3-blade 21".
Last year I bought a comprop 13.5x20" pitch prop and it's nice except that I really need a 22" one- the motor hits 5k rpm real easy with it. I'd be happy to sell you mine for a fair price, I don't use it anymore. They can be gotten from overtons for around $100 shipped otherwise. It was a good prop for skiing though, the 4-blade gave better bite than the 3-blade pulling slalom skiers up. Mine also sits in the water so I prefer the aluminum or plastic over stainless for corrosion reasons.

imported_Captain Morgan

Seaman Apprentice

Don said:
You would be better served to post this question over on the Prop forum. l]

Thanks Don, but the reason I posted here was because I wanted to hear from the Mercruiser people who had first hand experience running the same thing as me. The prop forum was not yielding too many results.

Macgyver0856

Cadet

30' Bayliner 175 , 14.25 X 21 prop . (stock prop) good all around prop, good top end and ok holeshot with skiier ...

kbetts

Petty Officer 2nd Class

1979 176 Imperial with 140 Merc., I am running a 21 pitch 14.25 stainless Mercury Quicksilver prop. This prop seems to work good everywhere, sking, tubing, good holeshot and tops out at 44mph on GPS. If interested, I can get you a part # off my prop.