What outdrive do I have?

jimh1626

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello and thanks in advance.
I have a 1988 Wellcraft 210 Classic. It has a 350 Chevy that blew the engine the 4th time I used it. Pulled engine and spent a month and $500 trying to get it repaired, but it wasn't worth it, so I bit the bullet and bought a re-manufactured engine at Auto-Zone for $1500. Got the engine and I am almost ready to re install it. The question I have is what out-drive do I have. All it says is Mercruiser and nothing else to identify it, such as Alpha one or GenII. I assume and am 99% certain it is Alpha one, but I want to get the alignment tool off ebay and don't want to get the wrong one.
Again it is a 1988 with a 350 Chevy.

Thanks for your time,

Jim

GMC2003

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: What outdrive do I have?

I can almost guarantee you that someone is gonna ask if you marinized that engine... They're also going to want know Model/serial numbers and pictures....

DaNinja

Lieutenant

If it's the original outdrive that is probably an Alpha One, Gen One. I can check, but I don't think Gen Two came out until the early '90's. I think Auto Zone and some of the other stores do provide marine engines. I hope it's a marine engine that you're talking about.

I found a decent link showing the difference.
Alpha I, Gen I & II

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

As GMC2003 said, let the forum know the serial number of the drive. Pictures help.

jimh1626

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It is an MS - Marine Service engine. I talked to the supplier before I ordered it and he got the right one for me. Auto Zone tried to give me a performance engine. I couldn't believe the marine version was actually a dollar cheaper than the performance version. Anyone looking for an engine might want to check them out. Comes with all gaskets too. I'll go get the numbers and post in a few minutes, but I went to where the boat is and looked and the air breather and it said Alpha One.

Jim

jimh1626

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK Here are the serial numbers.
Engine block number - 14093638
Outdrive number - OC440257
Here are some pics if I can get it to work.

100_0097.jpg100_0098.jpg100_0102.jpg100_0107.jpg

Wow can't believe it. I got 4 pics up. 2 of the engine and 1 of the outdrive and one of the spec sheet for the engine to show it was marine.

Thanks,

Jim

NYBo

Admiral

You are probably going to be advised by a number of folks to lose the hydrofoil.

jimh1626

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I can certainly do that, but what is it for. The last owner said it was to get on plane faster with skiers, but he conned me into buying his POS, so who knows. Thinking about smart tabs for next summer.

Jim

NYBo

Admiral

Smart Tabs are a much better solution.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You will get on plane faster with that hydrofoil on and can plane at a slower speed. You can spend money on Smart tabs but why not try it like it is and then without the foil? If you decide not to use it then look at getting helm adjustable trim tabs as they have additional benefits.
Good luck with the project.

cr2k

Captain

The alignment tools are all the same (to answer your original question like no one seems to be able to do). The only diff. is what extras you get with it. It is the same for MC, OMC and Volvo.

jimh1626

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The alignment tools are all the same (to answer your original question like no one seems to be able to do). The only diff. is what extras you get with it. It is the same for MC, OMC and Volvo.

Thanks CR2K - I'll order one. Just didn't want to get the wrong one.
Thanks for the advice about the hydrofoil. I'll see how it does with and without.

Thanks for everyone's time,

Jim