What oil to use in my Mercury...Synthetic Blend is cheap..why?

I started using Walmart's cheapo oil and then went to Mercury's Qsilver. I like
the QS, but it's something like $3.47 a pint. (I mix small batches at a time.) That's when I found Pennzoil (a brand I like, personally) "2-cycle Synthetic blend marine engine oil." It's "developed for engines that are "seasoned" or have been in service for a few years." "Pennzoil Marine XLF [extended life formula] is formulated to a higher lubricity limit than the NMMAAF-27 lubricity test to provide EXCELLENT protection against piston scuffing and reduced wear."

At $13.00 per gallon, an .10 per ounce, it's a great deal. What's the catch? Is it a good idea to use it in my '81 50hp?

Also, I did notice that the recommended 50:1 ration is slightly different than the Qsilver. They say to mix 2.6oz of pennzoil to one gallon of gas. Qsilver says to mix 3.0oz to 1 gallon.......

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: What oil to use in my Mercury...Synthetic Blend is cheap..why?

What Merc are you talking about??

50:1 is 2.56 oz/gallon. That is the "correct" ratio. It is usually mixed 1 pint per 6 gallons which correctly calculates to 48:1. 3oz./gallon is about 42-2/3:1.

The "catch" is that Quicksilver is overpriced.

The Wal Mart "cheapo" oil, SuperTech, is a very good oil and the Pennzoil blend and full synthetic are both very good oils.

You will get less smoke and carbon buildup and cleaner water if you use a full synthetic, but it will cost you more.

I use Wal Mart SuperTech and have for many years.

j_martin

Admiral

It's all good. If you want cheap, run the Wally-World stuff. It meets the spec. The PennZoil products are all superior, especially when considering price. I've run the Full synth in my XR4 for 4 years, (since I've owned it)> I beat the snot out of it and it just keeps running like a scalded dog.

BoatNoobie

Petty Officer 1st Class

Are there high quality 4-stroke synthetic oils? I cant seem to find the recommended weight for my engine.

Merc 60. Well it actually has 2 recommended weight, but I want the one that does better in cold weather.

Dave1027

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Are there high quality 4-stroke synthetic oils? I cant seem to find the recommended weight for my engine.

Merc 60. Well it actually has 2 recommended weight, but I want the one that does better in cold weather.

What weight is recommended? Why not use Mobil One? If Merc recommends their 25w-40 then I think Mobil one 15w-50 would be fine. It would be a full synth instead of a Merc's blend and probably cost less too.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Is the synthetic stuff good for oil injected Mercs? I'd like to try it in mine: 02 90 horse two stroke.

BoatNoobie

Petty Officer 1st Class

What weight is recommended? Why not use Mobil One? If Merc recommends their 25w-40 then I think Mobil one 15w-50 would be fine. It would be a full synth instead of a Merc's blend and probably cost less too.

Use SAE 25W-40 for temps ranging from 40 degrees F and higher.

use SAE 10W-30 for temps 0 degrees F and higher.

Live in the PNW, where it can get damn cold.

But the manual recommends oil that meet all those certs and blah blah blah that I have no idea what they mean. Rather not risk using regular motor oil for my boat motor unless it's safe.