What oil is okay for Volvo marine engine?

PickyBiker

Cadet
My neighbor's boat has a Volvo engine and there is a sticker on it that says SAE 30W. He is concerned because nobody seems to make that anymore. I told him 10w-30 or Mobil1 1 synthetic should be fine.

Any confirmation or concerns?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
what year volvo? which engine?

SAE 30 is still available

is this a V6 or V8? you can also run Rotella 15W-40 or 20W-50

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
As Scott says…depends on the engine really. But most VP engines of a GM making…have since had a statement issues from VP saying that 15w-40 or close variants either way is now suitable. That’s as a generic guide of course.
But as said…there are exceptions and need to know which engine you mean. To further complicate things…back in the day…some outdrives that were paired to some VP engines stated that the gear oil should be “as per engine oil” too…as in straight 30 weight. There is also since been advice or recommendations given about that since. Good to hear what you have anyway.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... I run 15W-40 diesel motor oil in, quite literally, Every motor, from heavy equipment to single cylinder lawn mowers, 'n everything in-between, includin' my boats,......

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Any oil is better than no oil. Except for cooking oil, don’t use that. Sorry Bondo, I had to twist your grease gun.