what oil and how much for evenrude 225 vro.

jurgenscraft

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello all, what type of gear oil must we use in our Evenrude 225 vro 1998 model. WHAT IS THE CORRECT FILLING PROCEDURE AND HOW MUCH OIL IS NEEDED, what is the difference between normal 80w90 and what is used in outboard motors I have even heard of people using automatic transmission oil in the outboard gearboxes,please advise.
Kind regards William Wright.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: what oil and how much for evenrude 225 vro.

Marine gearlube contains additives that help hold water in suspension. It'll still separate out over time, but it can take weeks. Without these additives, water settles quickly to the bottom and rust forms down there on the internals. In an ideal world, the seals will always keep water out and this will never be an issue. But most develop a leak sooner or later.

I wouldn't use ATF in any outboard or sterndrive except maybe the old electric shifts.

In a gearcase of a high horsepower unit, I would go with synthetic. I like MerCruiser's. Pennzoil makes one too. Others as well. You can get kits with lube and a pump.

Fill from the drain til it overflows out of the level. Put new gaskets (or o-rings) on the plugs. The magnetic plug goes on the bottom if you have one of each.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

I use Pennzoil Marine 100% Synthetic Lower Unit Gear Lube. 33 Ounces or 980 ml

I also use their 100% Synthetic TCW-3 oil. It is biodegradable.

jurgenscraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank you very much for the reply, so what I have to do is remove the drain plug(bottom) and the top plug ,attach a suitable extension ( tight fit into the drain hole) to the oil bottle (which I have) and squeeze oil in until it comes out of the top hole. I must say that trying to fill through the top hole is very messy and tedious because there is no vent for the air to escape out of, and how often should the gearbox oil be changed
Thank you for the help.
Kind Regards William Wright.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Here is a link to a maintenance chart by BRP for Evinrude motors:

http://www.evinrude.com/NR/rdonlyre...55-6BC1C69789FB/0/em_maintenance_schedule.pdf

The suggested schedule for the gear lube is annually, or every 100 hours. Note that they recommend checking it every twenty hours.

While you have your hands dirty, you might want to replace the engine oil filter. People who use the VRO usually forget to do that.