what motor is it???

lovetheyz

Cadet
Model number is B1818. I need to know what coil i am looking for. lost spark from coil.

thanks for any help

Fun Times

Staff member
Re: what motor is it???

Hi there, what engine brand do you have? If it's a Mercury, it seems you are missing two numbers in the serial number.

Are you sure it's a model number? or could it be a serial number?

Last edited:

lovetheyz

Cadet

just looked again. all that is there is B181S i was wrong about the first time. it has gm casting numbers on it. motor is not original to boat. i am getting the model number from the tag on the valve cover. says "marinemax"

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

Bump 1^
I think we're going to need a few photos of what you have there. Is this an outboard or stern drive or? Please see link for terminology, Thanks.
http://forums.iboats.com/mercruiser-...ml#post2545061
If it is a IO , then you would need a coil for a 12V marine application for the motor. A standard 12V step down to 9V coil would work on the motor. This should be the same for the 4 and 8 cylinder IO marine motors. JMO
Oldman570

lovetheyz

Cadet

it is an IO i will get some pics in a few min. my main question is putting a more standard coil in, auto maybe. mine does have the external resistor wire. with the points distributor. cant i do a conversion to get ride of the points or should i just try to get the mercury coil?

Last edited:

lovetheyz

Cadet
what is this motor

what is this motor

motor is not original to boat. the tag on the valve cover says it is model B181S. here are a few pics. I have lost fire and am trying to identify the ignition system i have so I can fix the issue. Does not have fire from coil.

Here are a few pics if it helps

thanks

roberts pictures 046.jpg
roberts pictures 043.jpg

Bondo

Staff member
Re: what is this motor

motor is not original to boat. the tag on the valve cover says it is model B181S. here are a few pics. I have lost fire and am trying to identify the ignition system i have so I can fix the issue. Does not have fire from coil.

Here are a few pics if it helps

thanks

View attachment 223226
View attachment 223227

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... The drive is a MR/ Alpha 1,... 'bout early 80s,... motor looks native,...

It needs a coil,....
There's also points, 'n condenser under the cap,...
My guess is new points will fire the coil, after ya put it back on,...

Up in Don'S Adults Only section, at the top of this forum are 2 or 3 threads 'bout yer Points Ignition,....

vincechig1975

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bondo....that looks like a 2.5 GM 4cyl. Any thoughts?

Bondo

Staff member

Bondo....that looks like a 2.5 GM 4cyl. Any thoughts?

Donno,.... can't see whether it's got a harmonic balancer, or just a pulley,...

Model B181S suggests it's the 181cid. 3.0l motor, with the balancer,...

lovetheyz

Cadet

it is a gm motor. isnt there a tune up kit with points i can get from iboats? thanks guys

thumpar

Admiral

The drive has a 3.0l label and it all looks original so I would think 3.0l is what it is. You can get a points kit. Napa carries most parts like that if you you want it fast or you could just buy it here on iboats.