What model/year OMC do I have?

Hello all,
I have tried to search on few of the numbers I will list below and I looked through the charts listed in the sticky's but I can't make any matches. If someone smarter than I am could help me it would be much appreciated. I recently bought a 30+ year old houseboat and would like to identify the model & year of the i/o so I can get the proper manual(s). Here is the information I could pull off the plate on the motor:

Engine - OMC 1140 STAR 01F Serial #728388

Outdrive - #932565

I can't really find anything that matches these numbers. Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance.

southkogs

Staff member
Re: What model/year OMC do I have?

Welcome aboard malibu:

You're most likely into an OMC Stringer, but the numbers you've posted don't quite tell the whole story. Do you know the year of the drive? Is it a 140HP?

Also, if you can post up some photos. That'll help us figure it out.

Well, I found out a little more. It definitely is a stringer (per the mechanic), but I don't know model or year yet. I had the boat pulled, the boot changed, the lower unit gone through and the intermediary (?) changed as it had shown some heavy deterioration. See pic below around the bushing in the lower left. Additionally the bracket that held the drive shaft & bearing totally disintegrated upon removal. Oh well, at least it will all be good for a few years now...

Photo10011048.jpg

southkogs

Staff member

Fast guesses: You've got a '73 140HP (Chevy I4 181) clamped on to a '72 Electric shift Stringer. What year is the boat?

captk

Petty Officer 1st Class

A few things point to the fact it is newer than 1977. The shape of the Transom seal or "boot" , and trunnion caps, the three bolt retainer on the tilt housing, 4 bolts on the ball gear bearing retainer,and tru-course steering. which also raises the ? which steering system does that boat use. It also very possible it is a frankestien, and has been pieced together for years. Can we see a pic of the drive? it is easy to ID elec from mech by the thru hub exhaust. Also is it white or silver?

It's white and I know it's not an electric shift. It may well be a Frankenstein. The boat is a 1983 but it most likely came out of a rental fleet, so there is a possibility that parts have been mixed and matched over the years. The engine has an OMC plate on it.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

that's deffinitely screwey that the tru-course steering gear is there, and then you also have the old push pull steering system.

If that hull is metal, I'd be welding it up and fitting a Mercruiser transom to it from a donor Merc powered boat.

And it keeps getting more strange. It seems that the lower unit has a Hydro Assist Drive. That should help narrow it down a little, right?