What lures do you use?

maxturbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What lures do you guys or ladies use with the best results in saltwater fishhing? And what type of fish do you catch with it.
I've always used live bait cause theres about a million different lures and have no clue which to use.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: What lures do you use?

I have had very good luck with a Krocodile 1 oz. spoon. Casts like a rocket. I have caught redfish, speckled trout, dolphin (dorado), small tuna of several varieties, rockfish (striped bass), bluefish and even one sailfish, not to mention several sorts of jack.

Best of all. . . .it is not made in China

sdsaw

Petty Officer 2nd Class

"Best of all. . . .it is not made in China"

If it isn't already, it will be made in China someday.
I recently purchased some Lure Jensen Needlefish for trout fishing and noticed that they were made in China.
They had oversize split rings compared to the "Made in the USA"
old ones that I already had.

I'll step down from my soapbox now.

turfman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

For Blues you can throw just about anything shiny. For stripers Bombers,big rapalas, yozuri ect in varying depths, plugs galore. But When out on a boat I usually have the best luck jigging.

turfman

maxturbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yea I'll be doing most of my fishing on my boat. Does anybody use lures for fluke?

maxturbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have had very good luck with a Krocodile 1 oz. spoon. Casts like a rocket. I have caught redfish, speckled trout, dolphin (dorado), small tuna of several varieties, rockfish (striped bass), bluefish and even one sailfish, not to mention several sorts of jack.

JB sounds like your having good luck with that lure. Where can I pick one up? Need to start using some lures from time to time. I dont have any right now. Have been using live bait for years.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Google Luhr-Jensen, maxturbo.

The one I use is the 1 oz in chrome.

m&m252

Petty Officer 2nd Class

plugs-i remove the treble hooks front and back and replace them with 3/0 4/0 etc circle hooks. this has worked for me on groupers wahoo etc. open water or reef. remember there are 1million fishermen and 1million ways to fish...

maxturbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Does anybody use any lures for Fluke fishing?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

From the Susquehanna Flats to the CBBT the bait of choice for the Chesapeake lite tackle angler is a BKD (Bass Kandy Delight). Stripers, Trout, Flounder, Red Drum, Black Drum, you name it, they catch it. The 10" size is deadly on big Stripers when fished around the structure of the CBBT.

We also use Stingsilvers quite a bit in the summer when the fish are feeding on silversides.

http://basskandydelights.hypermart.net/products2.html

sdsaw

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Does anybody use any lures for Fluke fishing?

Don't target fluke out this way but the saltwater fish go crazy for "Berkeley Gulp!" out here. It's not a true lure, but it comes in a resealable bag. Hit up your local knowledgeable tackle shop for advice on style and color.
You can fish it on a hook like bait or a leadhead like a jig

Fly Rod

Commander

IT's just a FLuke that I catch fish. HA! HA!!

When hooking I always use live bait or herring chunks.

When fly fishing it's always a green deer hair fly.

maxturbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yea I've always used live bait myself. But its intersting to hear what everybody uses and what kind of fish there catching with it.
The good thing about lures is that it sure would save you money over always buying live bait.

maxturbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Any flute lures out there? That anybody has had luck with?

JCF350

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Dead shrimp

Dead fish

Spoons

Catch everything :D

EJ3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I myself like to use live shrimp.

I have found a poping cork with a DOA white shrimp has been working for me with the seatrout.

When I have some, cut mullet works great for reds.

ebear

Seaman

berkly gulps and a jig rule! short of live fish thats all I use. theyll catch everything period. Even got an inshore grand slam last weekend. (snook, trout,red)I also rig them with a plain circle hook and egg sinker for grouper.Also if you need bait fish you can chunk them into corn sized pieces on small multi hook rigs Guarenteed full rig every time

Flukinicehole

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bucktails are the best all around fishing lure you can ever own. I`ve caught everything from Fluke to Mahi with them. Never leave home without a bucktail in your tackle box.

paintitup12

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i personally use live bait but i also use alot of berkley gulp