What kind of boat(s) do you own?

Sea-Alice

Cadet
Re: What kind of boat(s) do you own?

1976 Glassmaster open bow w/1977 115 HP Merc in-line six and 1991 Bayliner Trophy 2002 w/1994 150 HP Yamaha V6

Shrimpy Boat

Recruit

a sevylor fish hunter and i'm building a pirogue

Hi: I read about Pirogues awhile back in Back Woods Home, I think, or maybe it was Wilderness Way.

Are you making it out of 1x12's, with a flat bottom, or a bit fancier?

kinda curious, as have an Alcort, that I thought a daughter who took sailing lessons for three years would love, and turns out she hates sailing. (I think now that she just liked the boys in the class.)

Am considering fixing the boat up for myself, but am not a sailer by nature. Reading three books about rebuilding boats and sailing in general.

Shrimpy Boat

Recruit

What kind of boat do you own: I just bought a fixer upper 1986 Ranger 350. It was abused but the hull seems to be sound, front casting deck has a large bulge on the right side. also the clear coat has cooked off of the right side and is coming off in large pieces I have just started removing the carpet remains. It looks like the years of exposure caused the glue to become part of the glass on the casting deck. Photos to follow...

Hi Old Dude:
I am also. Just found this site. sitting on a 13 foot Alcort. Trying to decide if give it away, or fix it up. Haven't learned to sail yet.

But about your glue and bubbles, I did a small report to Harbor Freight about their 4 1/2" carbide grit wheel for a Right angle Grinder. I think it is a fabulous thing, about 36 grit, and referred to it as a Martian Invader Destructo Laser Ray. Shreded a wedge of oak off a threshold that was tilted wrong, 3/8" to nothing in 4" for five feet ot the threshold in about 10 minutes. Of course, it took 20 or 30 minutes to smooth it out nicely afterward with a finish sander, but what a material mover! Also ground down an 8" tree stump about 5" with about 30 minutes work. (Sap gunked it up once.)

johnnyreb7

Recruit

it will just have a flat bottom. i will probably make it out of 4x8s.

Shrimpy Boat

Recruit

it will just have a flat bottom. i will probably make it out of 4x8s.

Hi John:
From what I read of that type of boat, (Piroque), it was supposed to be light enough to carry to the swamp, flat and stable enough to just about stand up in, and just paddle around to check on fish lines and crawdad trap lines. The Piroque I read about was all one-by material, couple one by twelves joined edge to edge, then cut into a ten or twelve foot elipse. then the 1x12 sides were put on, and attached with brass or SS nails pretty close together, (like every 3-4 inches), and the ends joind vertically. All the seams were carefully glued or caulked with water proof stuff as it was assembled.

If you are using 4x8's, how are you making it?

cyclops2

Banned

MY boat that I live in. 16' Lowe, Aluminum, short shaft hull, 9.9 hp electric start. Love it at 74.:)
Wifes boat that collects slime all summer. Chaparral 186 SSI 5 L V8. Really is a fantastic boat. :)

Ian_D

Cadet

I own a Buckingham 20 Cabin Cruiser (with a 25hp Mariner Outboard) and an Unknown 27ft Cabin Cruiser which is in a bit of a state at the moment! (the inside has been sat in at least a foot of water for god only knows how long!)

larry945

Recruit

I currently own 1974 tidecraft w/ Johnson stinger 2 70 hp motor. Father bought it new and i now have it. It is real hard finding pics of motor so I will try to post mine. sorry if dont work.

Attachments

• IMG_1406.jpg
    IMG_1406.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1407.jpg
    IMG_1407.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1408.jpg
    IMG_1408.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1405.jpg
    IMG_1405.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1409.jpg
    IMG_1409.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 0

markscarfone

Cadet

Hello my family and I own a 2002 12ft Zodiac air floor with a 1985 Evenrude, A 17ft aluminum canoe not a Grumman but similar from the early 50's, and a Chris Craft Amerosport 284

osead

Recruit

Hello guys, we own a 1996 Sunbird Neptune 181 DC powered by a 1994 125 hp Mariner. I can't find much information about this boat. If anyone else owns one, feel free to contact me. I am looking for the shop manual on the boat. I need to re-wire and do other things. Thanks in advance!

Just started a resto on a 63 Starcraft Jupiter TODAY w original 75 hp Johnson, 83 Lowe Sea Nymph 14' flat bottom john w 5hp Gamefisher, 67 Starcraft Jupiter fully restored w 87 115hp Merc inline 6cyl w t/t (RECENTLY STOLEN AND SCRAPPED BY A ROYAL SCUMBAG!!!!) Awaiting my day in court...there's a special place in hell for those who steal a man's float toys!! BTW having trouble posting pics, newbie to the site...any tips??

catfish58

Petty Officer 2nd Class

2006 Lowe FM165 with 75 hp Mercury 4 stroke. She has a bimini top,24v 70# trolling motor and 3 bank charger.
184.jpg

sirscottalot

Recruit
Larson 204 Escape?

Larson 204 Escape?

I have a 2006 Larson 204 Escape w/fish package and a 5.0 GXI. I run the Cal delta, Don Pedro, New Malone?s and Comanche all spring summer and fall long. My son has a new tow boat that he paid 3x more than my boat and I can do more thing, go in less water and run much faster than his boat can. His boat does cut through the bigger wave a lot better than mine and his sound system is better also. But he won?t fish off of his.

saumon

Lieutenant

Since it's your first post, welcome aboard sirscottalot!

You'll find here a really fun and help-oriented community.

(just be warned that it's not considered good practice to resurect an old thread that's inactice for that long...If you want to, feel free to introduce yourself in the Show yer boat thread)

Note to the moderators: now it make me wonder, why there isn't a "Introduce yourself/presentation" section here like so many other forums?

Last edited: