What is this??

rmos

Cadet
Hello,

I have a Novarania Canguro SIB. In the front, underneath the "bow cover", there are 2 patches , does anyone know what they are for??

whatisthis.jpg

I was thinking maybe they're meant to hold a seat, but the location seems strange for this...

lncoop

Vice Admiral
Re: What is this??

Look like handles to me. I wouldn't be surprised to find some in that spot.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

If they are handle like (with small middle opening) are for removable front seat and the position is correct, will depend on the manufacturer about how many seats to use and where to place them...

Happy Boating

rmos

Cadet

you mean handles to hold on to?
I pretty sure this is not the case, there is no opening to put your fingers around. Actually there is no opening at all. The black bar is glued completely to the tube..

Chris in Indiana

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Looks like a seat mount for sure, but it looks like it was mounted upside down. Anyway the position looks right for a seat based on what I've seen. Most manufacturers try to get a 45 degree mounting angle between the seat and the tubes.

Is it aluminum? The valve looks interesting. How old is the boat?

rmos

Cadet

The black bar is made of rubber not aluminum. For seat mounts I would expect it the other way around as well... Could it be a mount for a steering console?

What's interesting about the valves? The boat is quite old, it's from 1973.

slance

Cadet

My best guess is that those are the retailners for the wood deck that the early Novurania boats used to have. It would go under the fabric bow skirt and could act as a forward locker. Not actually a seat, but would go across the tubes to hold the device in place, below the fabric fabric skirt.

S-