What is this hole?

evinrude bayliner

Seaman Apprentice
I have a mid 70s model Evinerude starlite 85hp evinrude outboar. I have been getting some leakage of fuel at the bottom of the of the carburator face plate in the lower right hand corner. This is the main plate where you would take the cover off to inspect the carbs or clean them with cleaner. There is a hole that comes from the carbs through the wall of the plate. When the engine is running you can see tha gas mixture streaming out of the hole and is leaking down the bottom of the outboard into the water. Is this normal? Please help.

angus63

Captain
Re: What is this hole?

Not familiar with your motor,but sounds like you have a carb float stuck open and fuel is coming from a vent in that carb. If you can, disconnect fuel at the carbs and connect one at a time, pump the fuel bulb to see which is the culprit. Sometimes lightly tapping the bowls with the handle of a screwdriver can free up a stuck float.
hope this helps
good luck

Jimmy Jam

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Can you post a pic of it? I may have the exact same hole. My motor is a '76 E-Rude 85HP. If it's what I think it is...I was told it is normal in these motors.

angus63

Captain

Jimmy A thimble full of fuel puddlin' in the bottom pan each run is normal. Fuel streaming out and down the leg is not.

evinrude bayliner

Seaman Apprentice

Everytime I come back form the lake I have to clean grey residue off the leg of the motor. It looks like graphite. I am not sure if it is a dripping out of the hole or if it is steadily peeing out while i am driving.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

It is certainly not normal for fuel-oil mix to be running out of the carburetors. It is a extremely dangerous condition which can be corrected by rebuilding the carburetors with up-to-date carburetor kits. Pay particular attention to the connecting link between the float and the needle.

Attachments

• Float Valve Clip.JPG
    Float Valve Clip.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 0

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Is it actually just a "hole" or is it a hose nipple? Anyway, there is supposed to be a hose nipple in that hole, and a hose leading to another nipple in the intake manifold. Minor blowback into the silencer is normal, that's why the hose. The fuel is sucked into the intake manifold instead of leaking all over the lake.

However if it is running out in a gross stream, you must have a leaking float valve. But I wouldn't expect it to be running properly if that is the case.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

"When the engine is running you can see tha gas mixture streaming out of the hole and is leaking down the bottom of the outboard into the water. Is this normal? Please help."

Did I misunderstand the opening issue in this thread?

evinrude bayliner

Seaman Apprentice

When you pump the primer bulb the gas will ooze out of the hole slightly. At normal ide it appears to drip out slowly. I have not seen how much comes out at higher rpms since the boat is not presently in the water. however when i come back from the lake I have the grayish residue from it leaking around the bottom of the outboard and it also gets in wake area at the back of the boat.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

You need to fix your float valves. (carb kits)
EDIT: And the drain hose!