What is this fluid and is this a problem?

ScottG76

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Here a shot of what it looks like:

boat leak 1.jpg

Seems to leaking down from the bottom of the cowl at this point. You can see a drip in the picture. I also noticed it collecting under the carbs and leaking forward. Seems to be getting worse everytime I go out.

boat leak 2.jpg

phipps

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: What is this fluid and is this a problem?

Kinda looks like what my gas/oil mix looks like.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

It is gas oil mixture. MANY 2 strokes do that. It leaks from the front of the carb ........ it's just messy. Use some wd40 sprayed on a paper towel to clean it up and yes.....it will happen again.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Model # ????

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

If this motor has an air box over the carb, look for a hose running from the bottom of the box to the intake manifold. I suspect that if your motor had one, it is either missing or split. Model number would help.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

+1 on the airbox drain

ScottG76

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I remember seeing a very small black hose connected to the back side of the carbs on the bottom. I have the shop manual and I found 1 reference to a drain line connected at rear of air silencer base.

ScottG76

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Where would I find a part number or any information on this hose so I can get a new one? I'll post a model number of the motor when I get home.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Try the crowleymarine web site. You using Pennzoil? That is what my fuel looked like when I used that blue-green oil.

ScottG76

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The last couple of batches were Penzoil, lol. Looks the it's leaking from the airbox, not from the hose. I'm guessing that this is normal for a 2 stroke. I did a lot of outting around around the last time out and never opened her up.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Is there. Gasket between the air box cover and the base? Should be to prevent leakage and shunt blowback into the drain hose. If gasket is missing or hose is compromised, you'll get mess like that.

ScottG76

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yep. Looks old too. Maybe I'll try replacing it when I tune her up for next year.