What is this and where do I get a new one?

AgTires4295

Seaman
Early 80s Evinrude 25. I was out on the river today, pulled the starting cable and this little $.05 plastic piece broke (great feeling...:facepalm:). I always make a point to gently apply a load to the starting cable until it securely grabs and then pull to start.

Anyway, I made it back and am pretty frustrated about this engine as something is always breaking and it is unreliable.

http://forums.iboats.com/asset.php?fid=172740&uid=379456&d=1370990466

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: What is this and where do I get a new one?

That link goes nowhere. Need a picture of what you're speaking of.

You apply a load to the starting cable? What does this mean?

Cap'n Chaos

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think he's talking about the starter pawl...

AgTires4295

Seaman

Sorry for the lack of photo/info. I submitted this from my phone earlier. Hopefully now that I'm on a desktop, I can figure this out. When pulling on the starter cable to turn the flywheel, I always gently pull it until the (now broken) plastic piece makes contact with the teeth on the flywheel and then begin to rapidly pull to crank over the engine.

I Googled what Cap'n Chaos mentioned and yes, the broken plastic piece is the starter pawl. I'm hoping I can order a replacement from here and that it's more substantial than a piece of cheap plastic.

Here's the little piece that left me stranded out in the river:

20130611_182855.jpg

I'm guessing this is what I need: http://www.iboats.com/mall/partfind...gd_poid=836561&gd_row=12&session_id=632118500

geoffwga1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well it won't be 'cos that's what they're made of.You didn't say what your motor was but that is the same set up as on my 18 fasttwin.actually they last quite a long time but I always keep a spare on the boat anyway.It is also a good Idea to keep a length of starter cord on board ,then you can remove the recoil starter and start by winding the cord round the flywheel.

AgTires4295

Seaman

Yeah I don't know of the exact year, I just know from comparing to others that it's an early 80s (maybe late 70s) Evinrude 25hp. The plate is missing from the motor. Good thought to order a second while on here since they're inexpensive. I've already walked down that path where I've been out in the boat and the friggin starter cord busted on me. I wasn't joking when I said that I'm frustrated with this motor... I've been having pretty bad luck with this thing.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

That pawl normally lasts for many years. Yours must have been an original and simply crystallized at the hinge portion due to extreme age.

The pawl should be available at any dealership. Part #203698... about $3.00.

AgTires4295

Seaman

Thanks Joe :cool: Hopefully I can get this thing up, running and reliable.