what is the Proper way to use trim?

No show

Seaman
I'm new to I/O and I could not get boat to perform like it should. What is the correct way to to do this ?? I was told to keep alfa drive trimmed in all the way, then when on plane start trimming out drive RPM's will change when lifting till best performance without going too high? Sounds like work, and you do this every time you take off? Alot different than an outboard wow,

FSTHUH

Seaman
Re: what is the Proper way to use trim?

Trim all the way down...put in gear....after you reach plane...start to slowly trim up...do not get to where your boat start to bounce around...it should be close to 3/4 down all the time...you can also hear your prop..catching too much air if you got it trimmed too high... hope this helps

Splat

Lieutenant

Actually it's exzactly the same for an outboard.

Trim in, put in gear take off. As boat scomes up on pad, start to trim out. This will allow the bow to raise slightly. Feel for it in the steering most of all, when the steering becomes easier your trimmed correctly.

Yes you should do this everytime if you want to get on plane faster.

No, it's not work, it's called driving your boat.

Bill

oshkoshboating

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Granted I am new, but I noticed on my boat you can "feel" the water and how your boat reacts to it when you start to trim up. Once I hit the sweet spot, it just feels "smooth".

wicked

Petty Officer 3rd Class

[No, it's not work, it's called driving your boat.

Bill[/QUOTE]

:D.............:)

Knot Waiting

Senior Chief Petty Officer

As stated by others, have the drive trimed down all the way to get the boat up on plane and then trim up once the boat has leveled out. As oshkoshboating mentioned on some boats you can feel the resistance through the wheel. Tap the trip button up untill it feels like the engine/drive is using minimal effort to move throught the water. Do not trim up to high.

You can also trim down when cruising rough water to help push the bow down and smooth out the ride (reduce speed when doing this).

*Never start the engine with the drive trimmed past the limit switch, like when it is in trailer mode. You can burn through your bellows and sink.

truckermatt

Petty Officer 1st Class

But what if your are into water sports..... is it OK to be trimmed in all the way all the time, Because your reallt not looking for top speed, just planing quickly..

scipper77

Commander

But what if your are into water sports..... is it OK to be trimmed in all the way all the time, Because your reallt not looking for top speed, just planing quickly..

You can do whatever you want (hopefully that means safe for you, others, and the boat).
You shouldn't be trimming until the boat is an plane anyways.
I personally never trim up unless I am on a long continuous run somewhere. Every time I do trim up I am paranoid about hitting a stump or getting loose over some chop (because I'm going fast not because I'm trimmed up)