What is the difference between rectifier and regulator?

gloveral

Cadet
I have two Mariner 40 4 cyls--91 and 92 models. One has a voltage regulator--that I think is bad--and the other has what I think is just a rectifier. The regulator is a small epoxy covered circuit board--yellow in color--with two yellow, two red, and one gray wire. The rectifier is a smaller black module with 3 posts.

What is the difference? Why does one have a regulator and the other just a rectifier?

Will the stator that was on the motor with the regulator work on the motor running the rectifier?

Finally, if the rectifier or regulator is bad will it damage the stator during testing the motor?

Thanks for all of the help--CD ignition diagnostics are new to me.

j_martin

Admiral
Re: What is the difference between rectifier and regulator?

1. A rectifier just converts the AC from the stator to DC, and delivers all the current available. The battery is the only thing that limits the voltage. It is a little hard on batteries over time. A regulator is a rectifier, followed by a circuit that limits the output voltage to about 14 volts.

2. Stator's the same, except maybe for connectors.

3. No. The stator by design should be able to take a dead short indefinitely. In practice a serious overload or short will tend to cook it over time.

It's just too bad these components can't read and comprehend theory.:D

hope it helps
John