What is fogging

midnight1957

Seaman Apprentice
I have read about winterizing your motor with carbs and some talk about fogging, please explain what this is. My motor is fuel injected so how will I do this to mine. I was going to remove most of the old gas in the tank then add stabil and run the motor until it ran out of gas, is this a good idea, if not what should I do?

Thanks,
Wade

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: What is fogging

Fog is an oil you spray into the cylimders to keep them from rusting over the winter.

Injected or carbed doesn't matter, you pull the plugs and do it and no I wouldn't run the engine out ot gas, get the Stabil in and run it for a bit to ensure it is up to the injectors and you should be good.

midnight1957

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the reply. What kind of oil do I use and what method is used to fog it into the cylinders and where would I find this item?

Thanks,
Wade

robert graham

Admiral

Fogging oil is a specialty product found in marine supply places like Boater's World, Cabela's,any outboard motor dealer. It contains oil and corrosion inhibitors to coat and protect internal engine parts during winter/off season. I use the Yamaha Fogging Oil but any would do. WD-40 would probably work fine if nothing else available. Just spray it in the intakes with the motor running until motor chokes down and then spray into spark plug holes, turn over motor a few revolutions to allow oil to penetrate piston rings and grooves, then you're set! I understand that fogging is much more important on oil injected motors since oil/fuel ratios are relatively low compared to premix motors...makes good sense. Good Luck!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If your layup period is less than four months you don't need to fog an engine. It certainly doesn't hurt to do it, but unless you live in a coastal region where moisture is a constant problem, I feel it is unnecessary. Using fuel stabilizers like Stabil or Sea Foam is essential for storage.

Huron Angler

Admiral

If your layup period is less than four months you don't need to fog an engine. It certainly doesn't hurt to do it, but unless you live in a coastal region where moisture is a constant problem, I feel it is unnecessary. Using fuel stabilizers like Stabil or Sea Foam is essential for storage.

I hope this isn't considered a thread hijack since it is the same topic and there are enough winterization threads out there already IMHO...

I live in Michigan and would be right at the treshhold of 4 months without use...so I'm trying to decide whether or not I should just put it in the basement for the winter or keep it in the garage?

We have a dehumidifier that runs regularly in our basement so I was thinking that may help keep moisture out of the cylinders as well. The outboard in question is a 1955 5.5hp Johnny.

Either way I will run stabil in addition to the seafoam thru the tank prior to putting it up for 4 months(I have no problem taking the boat out on the river in February or early March).

Any thoughts on this are appreciated:)

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Keep the motor in the basement BUT -- away from your furnace and water heater. Gas fumes run across the floor and can ignite when the furnace or water heater light off. If possible, put it on a stand so the power head is three feet off the floor.

Jeep Man

Commander

I have read about winterizing your motor with carbs and some talk about fogging, please explain what this is. My motor is fuel injected so how will I do this to mine. I was going to remove most of the old gas in the tank then add stabil and run the motor until it ran out of gas, is this a good idea, if not what should I do?

Thanks,
Wade

I'm new to EFI as well. I was told NOT to run it dry as the gaskets and seals in the fuel system will dry out. Also, to leave the tank full to prevent condensation in the tank. I'm sitting on the fence as to whether I'm going to fog or not. I will be draining the lower end and refilling the gear oil and changing the engine oil.

brumbyvet

Seaman Apprentice

Fogging oil is a specialty product found in marine supply places like Boater's World, Cabela's,any outboard motor dealer. It contains oil and corrosion inhibitors to coat and protect internal engine parts during winter/off season. I use the Yamaha Fogging Oil but any would do. WD-40 would probably work fine if nothing else available. Just spray it in the intakes with the motor running until motor chokes down and then spray into spark plug holes, turn over motor a few revolutions to allow oil to penetrate piston rings and grooves, then you're set! I understand that fogging is much more important on oil injected motors since oil/fuel ratios are relatively low compared to premix motors...makes good sense. Good Luck!

If you have a EFI engine do not spray fogging oil into intake. Just remove plugs, spray cylinders and turn motor over a few times without starting.

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If fogging oil is sprayed in the intake to winterise ... will the motor start normaly in the spring ?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

It may gag and wretch a bit but they generally start ok. The fogging oil causes an overly rich mixture so the engine either dies or slows significantly during the operation. By spring the oil is not in the incoming mixture so the engine will start normally. The engine is not flooded with oil during the process.

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It may gag and wretch a bit but they generally start ok. The fogging oil causes an overly rich mixture so the engine either dies or slows significantly during the operation. By spring the oil is not in the incoming mixture so the engine will start normally. The engine is not flooded with oil during the process.

Mucho thanks

Huron Angler

Admiral

Keep the motor in the basement BUT -- away from your furnace and water heater. Gas fumes run across the floor and can ignite when the furnace or water heater light off. If possible, put it on a stand so the power head is three feet off the floor.

Silvertip, your advice is much appreciated. I've got two little boys at home so safety is a concern for me. Glad to see you are still on the forum spreading your knowledge:)